2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear axle stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 12:04 PM
Michael Mansfield
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear axle stuck

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500. 4x4. Rear passenger side seal leaking. I went to pull the axle and had to actually hit it with a hammer because it wouldn’t budge to remove c clip. Now I can’t remove axle have tried a slide hammer all that did was make my hands sore. Driver side rear removed fine. Any suggestions appreciated.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Can you tell where it's hanging up at? So far as I know, the only thing holding it in is the c clip. Even if it was hung up on the outer bearing, I would think the slide hammer would have pulled it, bearing, seal, and all.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:02 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I think at this point, I think you should remove the carrier retainer clamps n loosen the carrier adjuster of the offending side. Count the amount of turns because you'll have to put it back there. If the carrier is stuck, this'll loosen it so you can get the c-clip out. Hope it helps.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:44 PM
Michael Mansfield

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Can you tell where it's hanging up at? So far as I know, the only thing holding it in is the c clip. Even if it was hung up on the outer bearing, I would think the slide hammer would have pulled it, bearing, seal, and all.
I’m not sure where it is hung up at. I removed spider gears in case somehow binding on those. I did have this side changed 2 months ago by a shop. I had a leak appear and the drum got super hot.

I spent over 3 hours with slide hammer and hitting it with pb blaster. I was only able to get it to move out about 1 inch.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:52 PM
Michael Mansfield

With the axle out this far it doesn’t spin if I hit it back in it moves again. I’m thinking it is binding on the outer bearing.

Old 03-29-2021, 04:30 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

It looks like the seal came out a bit ? That would mean the bearing is trying to come out as well. I can't really come up with any reason why the axle wouldn't slide out short of the bearing having failed catastrophically and something is friction welded to the axle shaft.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:36 PM
Michael Mansfield

Originally Posted by DerTruck
It looks like the seal came out a bit ? That would mean the bearing is trying to come out as well. I can't really come up with any reason why the axle wouldn't slide out short of the bearing having failed catastrophically and something is friction welded to the axle shaft.
will I be able to get it out with it being friction welded

Old 03-29-2021, 09:15 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Mansfield

I'm hesitant to jump in here as I'm definitely NOT a gear man. I have seen bearing get stuck from heat and pressure and burn a groove in the axle. The beari will be stuck and you may need a REALLY big sliding hammer.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:38 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Mansfield
Yes, but it's going to more difficult. Typically the bearing is pulled out with equal force on two points 180 degrees apart. In your case it may well be that the bearing race ends up wedged in its seat. What I would try is slide hammer two, three times, then push the axle shaft back in until it spins freely and turn it 180 degrees and slide hammer again. Then turn 90 deg and repeat 180-90-180-90 you get the idea, only small movements every time.

It would help if you can pry the seal out and remove it so you can maybe get a look what's happening there.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:16 AM
Michael Mansfield

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Yes, but it's going to more difficult. Typically the bearing is pulled out with equal force on two points 180 degrees apart. In your case it may well be that the bearing race ends up wedged in its seat. What I would try is slide hammer two, three times, then push the axle shaft back in until it spins freely and turn it 180 degrees and slide hammer again. Then turn 90 deg and repeat 180-90-180-90 you get the idea, only small movements every time.

It would help if you can pry the seal out and remove it so you can maybe get a look what's happening there.
I’ll see if I can pop the seal tomorrow not a lot of room to work with it and I’ll try the sliding hammer again thank you.

Quick Reply: Rear axle stuck