2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Towing question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 11:27 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

You will be fine. The truck probably weighs just over 5000lbs without you or whatever you carry with you. So between you and the 4 wheeler plus some gear I am thinking you are just under 6400lb rating. Remember GVWR is not curb weight. So your camper plus gear and water is rated up to 4300lbs. It's probable more like 3500lbs curb. All in all you are still under 11,000 GCWR for the truck + trailer. So safely under the 12,500 your truck is rated for as far as the law is concerned.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:24 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adukart
You will be fine. The truck probably weighs just over 5000lbs without you or whatever you carry with you. So between you and the 4 wheeler plus some gear I am thinking you are just under 6400lb rating. Remember GVWR is not curb weight. So your camper plus gear and water is rated up to 4300lbs. It's probable more like 3500lbs curb. All in all you are still under 11,000 GCWR for the truck + trailer. So safely under the 12,500 your truck is rated for as far as the law is concerned.

That's what I figured man. I'm gonna hit the scales when i go pick up the camper. For piece of mind. These old campers are built like a brick lol

Old 04-08-2021, 01:25 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Towing gets complicated as my state allowed you to over register a vehicle. My 2500 is registered so I can tow 18,000lbs legally
Really that's strange sounds sketchy lol

Old 04-08-2021, 01:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,293 Likes on 3,040 Posts

Originally Posted by 96albertaram
Yeah, wonder what hoops ya gotta jump thru..... I know I sure wouldn't wanna put 18000 pound behind my truck, and I have a 2500 with the 8.0......

Old 04-08-2021, 02:35 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Not really must I towed was 14,500 and it handled it well
Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, wonder what hoops ya gotta jump thru..... I know I sure wouldn't wanna put 18000 pound behind my truck, and I have a 2500 with the 8.0......
You just sign a paper and they do a one time inspection. That's it. Most I towed was 14,500 and it handled it really well. I am upgrading to Brembo brakes. Never plan on towing they much but this way I'm legal with almost everything

Old 04-08-2021, 02:57 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

That's pretty epic. Ya i was just concerned with the 650 pound 4 wheeler in the box while towing the camper. I've done it a couple times but just don't want any fines lol
I don't know the rules in Canada but in the US the manufacturer tow rating is not a legal limit, it's not recorded on the vehicle or in the registration. In fact as MoparFanatic wrote in some states that register by GCWR you can get a higher GCWR than the manufacturer recommends if you're willing to pay for it. You have to be smart about what you're doing then, you probably don't want to pull a full load up a steep grade on a hot day.

The numbers that you need to care about are the GVWR of the truck and the trailer as well as the axle/tire ratings of both. The GVWR of the truck naturally limits the trailer weight because the truck can only take so much tongue weight, and loading the trailer "wrong" to reduce TW makes it unsafe and/or negligent which is another can of worms. That can includes people that hitch a ginormous travel trailer almost twice as long and heavy as the truck and then wonder why they flip it on the Interstate doing 75 mph. It's a weight rating, not a size rating....

Old 04-08-2021, 05:58 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by DerTruck
I don't know the rules in Canada but in the US the manufacturer tow rating is not a legal limit, it's not recorded on the vehicle or in the registration. In fact as MoparFanatic wrote in some states that register by GCWR you can get a higher GCWR than the manufacturer recommends if you're willing to pay for it. You have to be smart about what you're doing then, you probably don't want to pull a full load up a steep grade on a hot day.

The numbers that you need to care about are the GVWR of the truck and the trailer as well as the axle/tire ratings of both. The GVWR of the truck naturally limits the trailer weight because the truck can only take so much tongue weight, and loading the trailer "wrong" to reduce TW makes it unsafe and/or negligent which is another can of worms. That can includes people that hitch a ginormous travel trailer almost twice as long and heavy as the truck and then wonder why they flip it on the Interstate doing 75 mph. It's a weight rating, not a size rating....

Yup fair enough. I think my setup is within its limits. Even with a 4 wheeler in the back. I would NEVER tow anything larger then what I have right now.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:54 PM
pershingd
Professional

Just chiming in - I've got an 18k plate on my dually, but it doesn't mean I can tow 18k lbs, it's a combined weight that includes the tow vehicle. The truck weighs in around 6k, the camper is 9k so I have about 3k to spare before I'm over what I'm licensed for.

Folks around here will license their trucks with the minimum 5k or 7.5k plate because it's cheaper, but then hook up to a 9k trailer and wonder why they are ticketed.

Last edited by pershingd; 04-09-2021 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:24 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by pershingd
Just chiming in - I've got an 18k plate on my dually, but it doesn't mean I can tow 18k lbs, it's a combined weight that includes the tow vehicle. The truck weighs in around 6k, the camper is 9k so I have about 3k to spare before I'm over what I'm licensed for.

Folks around here will license their trucks with the minimum 5k or 7.5k plate because it's cheaper, but then hook up to a 9k trailer and wonder why they are ticketed.
I forget my GCVWR (it's on the registration in the glove box) but it allows me to actually tow 18,000

Old 04-10-2021, 05:49 AM
pershingd
Professional

Cool. I don't envy our highway patrol having to figure out the various state/country licensing rules for weight. I guess they just use their computers keep everything straight.

Quick Reply: Towing question.