2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fooling the oxygen sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 07:03 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

You asked about the hot O2 sensor, the upstream sensor has a heating element. I believe your upstream sensors are heated to 800 degrees.
I suspect your success will be short-lived, you will get the MIL, fouled plugs, and terrible gas mileage. The downstream sensor that is hanging in free air will sense a lean condition and enrich the fuel mixture.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:23 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsick
You asked about the hot O2 sensor, the upstream sensor has a heating element. I believe your upstream sensors are heated to 800 degrees.
I suspect your success will be short-lived, you will get the MIL, fouled plugs, and terrible gas mileage. The downstream sensor that is hanging in free air will sense a lean condition and enrich the fuel mixture.
Downstream only monitors cat efficiency. The upstream controls the fuel trims

Old 04-11-2021, 09:45 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

As noted, the DS O2 is just to confirm the cat is working... an anti-fouler will do the fooling just fine.

There are O2 simulators that plug in to return a signal like the sensor is happy (Google search will get you examples, and YouTube will get you how to make your own).

I don’t know what that would do on an US O2 that is used to control mixture.

Old 04-11-2021, 10:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Spillage
As noted, the DS O2 is just to confirm the cat is working... an anti-fouler will do the fooling just fine.

There are O2 simulators that plug in to return a signal like the sensor is happy (Google search will get you examples, and YouTube will get you how to make your own).

I don’t know what that would do on an US O2 that is used to control mixture.
If you put a simulator in place of the front O2, the engine would run, but, gas mileage would suffer, and likely other performance problems as well. Also would need to do something for the heater circuit, otherwise, you would get codes about it.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:45 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey I would do as this video shows you. You just need to purchase the spark plug fouler (heh O2 sensor fouler). I put in a a small piece of stainless wool inside the fouler plug. I've gotten rid of my cat years ago by doing this, with no cel's. I just cut the front off the cat, and welded in a new chunk of 3in exhaust. I also cut the rear O2 sensor nut out and welded it back into the new chunk of exhaust. Heck you could even run 4in exhaust and really open up the exhaust. I have a spare exhaust off a newer dodge diesel from a previous project.

Just weld in the plug on the top side of the pipe, as the bottom will fail due to moisture collection.

Quick Reply: Fooling the oxygen sensor?