2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED head light problem need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 08:53 PM
meehere
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Do the low beams come on when your select high beams?
The low emitters in the light are on but I think that is by design for led lights.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:13 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by meehere
The low emitters in the light are on but I think that is by design for led lights.
Switch the wires on the led bulb. As with most Chinese lights they have it wired backwards

Old 04-19-2021, 04:52 AM
meehere

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Switch the wires on the led bulb. As with most Chinese lights they have it wired backwards
As with all led lights there is a "control" box which allows the cooling fan to run on both low and high beam. What wires would you propose I change. I do not have access to the schematic of the light. The only wire switching I can see would be from 9004 to 9007 on the truck side which is already compensated for supposedly on the light as the low beams work.

Again, when lows on and fogs on, highs are activated.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:47 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

"Supposedly" is the word here. As already mentioned, the intricate details of 9004 vs 9007 bulbs are often lost on the Chinese manufacturers. See here for more info: https://blog.betterautomotivelightin...and-9007-bulbs There is another quirk with the later 2nd gen Rams that could throw a wrench in here. After the frequent melted headlight switches the wiring was changed so the power is fed directly to the bulb and the headlight and high beam switches connect the appropriate filament to ground. The power is connected to what is labeled ground in the link above and then high beam/low beam is grounded depending on high beam switch. That works fine for incandescent light bulbs because the filaments don't care which way the current flows. The control box might be confused by that although I'd think the designers would accommodate for it. Who's the manufacturer ?

Old 04-19-2021, 03:31 PM
meehere
Wink

Originally Posted by DerTruck
"Supposedly" is the word here. As already mentioned, the intricate details of 9004 vs 9007 bulbs are often lost on the Chinese manufacturers. See here for more info: https://blog.betterautomotivelightin...and-9007-bulbs There is another quirk with the later 2nd gen Rams that could throw a wrench in here. After the frequent melted headlight switches the wiring was changed so the power is fed directly to the bulb and the headlight and high beam switches connect the appropriate filament to ground. The power is connected to what is labeled ground in the link above and then high beam/low beam is grounded depending on high beam switch. That works fine for incandescent light bulbs because the filaments don't care which way the current flows. The control box might be confused by that although I'd think the designers would accommodate for it. Who's the manufacturer ?
Ok. this is fun. In my research, I have found diagrams that show the differance between 9004 and 9007 to be the ground and low beams are switched in the plug, with the 9004 holding the center pin as ground. The artical you gave the link to shows the 9007 as having axial filaments yet the 9004 bulbs which I have been using are axial filaments. The large amount of disinformation on this must mean the actual difference is highly classified. We may never know the truth!

Old 04-20-2021, 03:29 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by meehere
Ok. this is fun. In my research, I have found diagrams that show the differance between 9004 and 9007 to be the ground and low beams are switched in the plug, with the 9004 holding the center pin as ground. The artical you gave the link to shows the 9007 as having axial filaments yet the 9004 bulbs which I have been using are axial filaments. The large amount of disinformation on this must mean the actual difference is highly classified. We may never know the truth!
Also note there is a notch for indexing the bulb which is different between the bulb types. Most of the aftermarket stuff neither cares about where the filaments should sit in relation to the reflector nor the indexing which is why so many conversions blind oncoming traffic even in low beam.

Old 06-01-2023, 01:09 AM
Erron Black

I’m also having a problem with the led bulbs i got i ended up ordering the 9007 led bulbs and they were causing issues. My bright indicator was on but my light were dim then when i switched it to dem my bright lights came on.So i bought some 9004 led lights and put them in there and everything seemed to work fine until i turned my truck on and they were stuck on bright light only and wouldn’t switch anybody got any opinions?

Old 06-01-2023, 02:03 AM
meehere

Originally Posted by Erron Black
I’m also having a problem with the led bulbs i got i ended up ordering the 9007 led bulbs and they were causing issues. My bright indicator was on but my light were dim then when i switched it to dem my bright lights came on.So i bought some 9004 led lights and put them in there and everything seemed to work fine until i turned my truck on and they were stuck on bright light only and wouldn’t switch anybody got any opinions?
use a meter to check voltages and polarity on socket. If bulbs are LEDs may have a rectifier problem with bulb as I have found that both the 9004 and 9007 will work correctly in my truck.

Quick Reply: LED head light problem need ideas