2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED head light problem need ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 12:11 AM
meehere
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LED head light problem need ideas

All was working as expected when I installed LED headlights, now 2 set of 9004 in my 02 3500 5.9HO cummings. Now with LEDs, if I turn on factory fog lights, the high beams come on as well. Result is no low beams. Fog light go off when switch to high beams. So far have tries resistors and some special box which was to fix it. Special box keeps high off when lows on, but only have lows when high beam on. Reinstalling halogens returns headlights to normal operation when fog lights on. Looking at LEDs thru wwelding mask, it seems normal operation is to leave the low beam panel on when high beams come on. Any Ideas on how to convince the high beams to turn off when low beams are on?

Old 04-18-2021, 08:21 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by meehere
All was working as expected when I installed LED headlights, now 2 set of 9004 in my 02 3500 5.9HO cummings. Now with LEDs, if I turn on factory fog lights, the high beams come on as well. Result is no low beams. Fog light go off when switch to high beams. So far have tries resistors and some special box which was to fix it. Special box keeps high off when lows on, but only have lows when high beam on. Reinstalling halogens returns headlights to normal operation when fog lights on. Looking at LEDs thru wwelding mask, it seems normal operation is to leave the low beam panel on when high beams come on. Any Ideas on how to convince the high beams to turn off when low beams are on?
The wiring for the LED light is probably wrong, it's so common with them being made in china

Old 04-18-2021, 08:40 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

I installed LED headlights
What kind/ brand? Bulbs, complete headlight assembly what?

Old 04-18-2021, 12:56 PM
meehere

Originally Posted by Moparite
What kind/ brand? Bulbs, complete headlight assembly what?
Bulbs, the cheap kind. Just plug them in they should work. And do sorta.

Old 04-18-2021, 01:00 PM
meehere

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
The wiring for the LED light is probably wrong, it's so common with them being made in china
To check this, just use test leads and 12V, follow wireing diagrams for bulb? any thing else I should check?

Old 04-18-2021, 06:37 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

To check this, just use test leads and 12V, follow wireing diagrams for bulb? any thing else I should check?
You can I would make sure you are getting power on the low beam and high beam when you engage them and have a ground

Old 04-18-2021, 06:49 PM
meehere

You can I would make sure you are getting power on the low beam and high beam when you engage them and have a ground
Think its good, works fine with halogen bulbs, got low on low, high on high, no high on low with fog lites.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Think its good, works fine with halogen bulbs, got low on low, high on high, no high on low with fog lites.
The cheap LED bulbs have crappy wiring where usually the high beam and low beam are reversed or something of that nature. That's why they are cheap.

Is your problem no fog lights?

Old 04-18-2021, 07:07 PM
meehere

The cheap LED bulbs have crappy wiring where usually the high beam and low beam are reversed or something of that nature. That's why they are cheap.

Is your problem no fog lights?
Have fog lights, problem is high beams on when low beams selected and foglights on.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:51 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Have fog lights, problem is high beams on when low beams selected and foglights on.
Do the low beams come on when your select high beams?

Quick Reply: LED head light problem need ideas