2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ball Joint Press Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 04:23 PM
Ryan Wienberg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joint Press Kit

I have to do my ball joints, once again. Last time I got one in, broke a ball joint and broke the cup from the press kit I had, and didn't have the time to deal with the rest so I paid for the other side to be done in a shop. However, I now have the time to wait on things, so I'd like to grab a kit. Most of the kits I find online state that they specifically DO NOT work for 2nd gens. They'll cover everything under the sun, except 2nd gens. The press cup and ball joint both broke last time because the cup was ever so slightly too large and there was nothing that fit perfectly. Pressing them out was a non issue but I'll be doing ball joints at least once or twice a year, so I'd like to make sure I'm not wasting money on yet another dud of a kit. I've found a few kits in a price range I'm comfortable with, but none of them say whether they work with my truck or not.

I was wondering what the consensus here was, I did some poking around but didn't have tons of luck on the existing forum posts and figured it's easier to ask again than dig through however many other posts there are in years past.

I'm in Canada, I'd like to spend a reasonable sum, not $300+ which is what I'm seeing for kits that 100% will work.
I have a 2000 Ram 1500 4x4 with a Dana 44 in the front, it's lifted and abused on the trails, hence the routine ball joint changes.
The presses I have my eye on currently are:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...906817&jsn=752
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...784314&jsn=753
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...UaArwvEALw_wcB

Or if someone knows of cups, like this, if they work, or of another that will
https://torqueking.com/product/1152/...nt-press-stub/

Thank you all in advance

Old 04-20-2021, 06:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Well, the first one specifically mentions the D44... the others just seem pretty generic. Also has a lifetime warranty..... no idea what that's worth though.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:28 PM
Ryan Wienberg

A lot of them that I've seen will mention the D44, and then go on to say they don't work for MY D44 for whatever weird reason. I'll probably go with that, of the 3, but I'll see if anyone's had any luck. The warranty is nice, as if I do break it, I can get another, but of course it's always best if things just work right in the first place.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ryan Wienberg
A lot of them that I've seen will mention the D44, and then go on to say they don't work for MY D44 for whatever weird reason. I'll probably go with that, of the 3, but I'll see if anyone's had any luck. The warranty is nice, as if I do break it, I can get another, but of course it's always best if things just work right in the first place.
Yer askin' an awful lot there.

Last edited by HeyYou; 04-20-2021 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:34 PM
Ryan Wienberg

[QUOTE=HeyYou;3512930]
Originally Posted by Ryan Wienberg
A lot of them that I've seen will mention the D44, and then go on to say they don't work for MY D44 for whatever weird reason. I'll probably go with that, of the 3, but I'll see if anyone's had any luck. The warranty is nice, as if I do break it, I can get another, but of course it's always best if things just work right in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Yer askin' an awful lot there.
Lol I suppose that 2nd Gen and things just working aren't really a realistic combination but a man can dream

Old 04-20-2021, 06:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

[QUOTE=Ryan Wienberg;3512931]
Originally Posted by HeyYou
Lol I suppose that 2nd Gen and things just working aren't really a realistic combination but a man can dream
Right there with ya man.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:54 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Hmm I don't know. I used a standard Amuhreecan kit on a '99 years ago. I don't recall any significant problems.

That said if you're not ponying up for a BJP1 (and I don't blame you), the Astro Goliath is really nice for the extra Z-space. My pet peeve used to be presses just did not have enough work envelope to do u-joints, especially D60 axleshafts

Amazon Amazon

Also, I'm choosing to stay above ground and out of the rabbit hole but there must be ten dozen YT vids of guys doing 2nd Gen ball joint jobs? If they're using the basic import presses then there ya go...

Old 04-21-2021, 12:00 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Also all other things equal I'd go with Astro - they've actually gotten hardcore on metallurgy (I've "sprung" a HF* press) and will stand behind their stuff if you damage it with anything short of blatant stupidity, and they specifically say impact use is fine IF you lube the screw

*HF = Princess in Canaduh I'm told

Old 04-22-2021, 06:41 PM
mtntrogger
Professional

Been looking at one of these myself. Harbor F has one for $80. The local auto store here charges me around $250 deposit to borrow the one they have which looks nearly identical to the H Freight jawn. Just dont know if Id use it as often as you

Old 04-22-2021, 09:59 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

I found on Amazon a Dodge "add-on" kit for $30 will do Dodge Rams

Quick Reply: Ball Joint Press Kit