2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no Power to radio, interior lights and dome light and electric locks

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 04:48 AM
bigblackdodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no Power to radio, interior lights and dome light and electric locks

I need help. My 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Extended Cab 4X4 has suddenly lost power to radio, accessories, dome light, cargo light, and the power door switch will lock and then pop right back up.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:43 AM
Cally
Rookie
Default RE: no Power to radio, interior lights and dome light and electric locks

Did you check the fuse box, you may have a blown fuse. Also check the wires running to the fuse box, you may have a wire with some coating scrapped off, it might be shorting out.

Old 12-27-2005, 03:39 PM
bigblackdodge
Default RE: no Power to radio, interior lights and dome light and electric locks

I have checked the fuses in the interior box and the box that is beside the battery under the hood. I have even installed new fuses with no luck. What is confusing is the power door lock that still has power, but when I hit the keyless lock it will automaticly unlock again.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:02 PM
greenmachine
All Star

Minus the electric locks I had the same problem with my 99. It was the fuse inside the yellow holddown on the fuseblock inside of the truck.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:16 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

the keyless and the lock system run on a few seperate circuits so that is why your getting wierd symptoms... if you had a time direct reflectometer you could shot out each wire and till tell you how far the break is at.. but tehy cost like 10000 bux... rip apart the main box and go over it with a fine tooth comb.. then go to the inner box..... thatll be the starting point for nay electrical problem

Old 12-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Tani1500
Champion

ORIGINAL: greenmachine

Minus the electric locks I had the same problem with my 99. It was the fuse inside the yellow holddown on the fuseblock inside of the truck.
I would check that fuse. thats the one that controls all that stuff.

Old 12-27-2005, 11:58 PM
grandmazer

Yep I would check the IOD fuse also. Also check that circut for any problems if it isn't the fuse.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:03 PM
bigblackdodge

Thanks for the info on the yellow pull out. I pulled the fuse in the yellow pull out and it was bad. I installed another fuse and the lights flickered and the fuse popped pretty quickly. What would be a good way to diagnose what is shorted out or could it be something simple?

Old 12-28-2005, 07:04 PM
bigblackdodge

Where would the IOD fuse be located?

Old 12-28-2005, 10:48 PM
bigblackdodge

Disregard the question about the IOD fuse. What is usually on this circuit?

Quick Reply: no Power to radio, interior lights and dome light and electric locks