2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clearance Light Screws and screws/parts info generally

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 10:43 AM
Libertarian Ray
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearance Light Screws and screws/parts info generally

It is getting harder and harder to find things for my 96 dodge ram 1500 Club Cab Laramie. The original clearance lights are leaking (two of them) but all the screws and o rings need to be replaced. The screws are rusted and some thinned and I cannot get a measurement on them. I am not sure if the gaskets are also bad. The light themselves are still fine and amazingly only one light bulb burned out since I purchased it new. I went through the parts manual and could not find anything and web searches are not helpful. I took the screws to a parts store and they could not help because they are so rusted and I also searched the forum. Does anyone know the size of these screws and/or have an idea on the gaskets? Or generally how to find screw sizes for the truck as a whole? Any advice other than replacement would be appreciated. Any other ideas on any sites to find parts would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:53 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

If I were you, I'd replace them all with a Pacer kit:
https://pacerperformance.com/product...lk-roll-detail

Old 05-03-2021, 11:29 AM
Libertarian Ray
Amateur

Thanks very much for the direction. I just ordered a kit. Interestingly there was a seller on ebay with an 'older" brand new in the box 20-230, "never opened" for only $40.00 free shipping. I wont have to do any rewiring or anything like that. Thanks again.

Old 05-03-2021, 11:53 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Libertarian Ray
Thanks very much for the direction. I just ordered a kit. Interestingly there was a seller on ebay with an 'older" brand new in the box 20-230, "never opened" for only $40.00 free shipping. I wont have to do any rewiring or anything like that. Thanks again.

I see you went on Fleabay. I do that a lot too.A couple of tips here will help. Get a small tube of valve lapping compound. This is what you use when you do a valve job to seat the valves for a good seal. They should have it at the parts store. Put a itsy bitsy yellow polka dot biki.....oops, my mind is wandering again. Itsy bitsy dab on the end of your screwdriver and press hard into the head of the screw. It will bit good enough to get the screw out without rounding the head off. Also, when you install the new lights, use a little clear silicone around the seal and on the threads of the screw. Wipe any excess around the light off before it sets. You will never have a leak that way.

Old 05-03-2021, 03:23 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 322 Likes on 304 Posts

Interesting topic and thanks for sharing.

I went out to my '96 Ram 2500 and looked at my amber clearance lights on it. They are PM120 lenses, which are made by Peterson Manufacturing. Do you happen to know what type of bulb is used with these lights? I'd like to change mine out to brighter LED style bulbs. My screws were in good shape and are easy to remove, however, the lens doesn't want to come up off of the roof of the truck. Is a putty knife the best way to get it off without making a mess of the paint/wiring/roof?

Edit - I checked for the bulb used in the clearance light and it looks to be a 194.

I called Peterson Manufacturing and they stated that they no longer make this particular clearance light, however, it looks like they are still available - for example -
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by AtomicDog; 05-03-2021 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Found bulb type for clearance light
Old 05-04-2021, 09:59 AM
Libertarian Ray
Amateur

Thanks for the tips!

Old 05-04-2021, 10:03 AM
Libertarian Ray
Amateur

I purchased Sylvania Longlife 158 which had worked fine. They were rated as 14V, 3.4W. But thanks for the info and will compare the two. Hopefully the new lights will work fine. The headline got ruined and was removed and I have new fabric and will be looking forward to getting that back up along with the lights and temp gauge and molding.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:24 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 322 Likes on 304 Posts

I want to remove my clearance lenses and polish them up, as they look a bit dull as they are 25 years old. In addition, I'd like to swap out the 194 bulbs and install extra bright LED bulbs to help enhance visibility and cut back on voltage needed to run the lights.

Did you have any issue removing the old lenses from the top of the truck? When I removed the two screws from one of my lenses, I could not get it off. I suspect that I'll have to carefully run a putty knife under it to get it to come off, but was wondering what others had run into when removing them.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:28 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I want to remove my clearance lenses and polish them up, as they look a bit dull as they are 25 years old. In addition, I'd like to swap out the 194 bulbs and install extra bright LED bulbs to help enhance visibility and cut back on voltage needed to run the lights.

Did you have any issue removing the old lenses from the top of the truck? When I removed the two screws from one of my lenses, I could not get it off. I suspect that I'll have to carefully run a putty knife under it to get it to come off, but was wondering what others had run into when removing them.
When I changed my clearance lights to chrome led ones I just stuck a small screwdriver in the screw home and pried up

Old 05-04-2021, 11:42 AM
Libertarian Ray
Amateur

To remove I simply twisted from the sides and they popped right off ... no prying necessary. However when removing the screws, the plastic sounded very crunchy and the gaskets were not in the best of shape and I wondered if they would prevent water from getting in. I think Ramman18's advice was good. I also did not even notice the number PM 120 on top when I removed the bulb with the wrong one as you are correct it is a 194 T10....wet ***** for me.

Quick Reply: Clearance Light Screws and screws/parts info generally