2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My transmission to transfer case flange broke..

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 10:06 PM
Ramchie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Any reason why the 4 bolts are removed from the extension housing at the rear of the transfer case? Those 4 bolts do not need to be removed to remove the rear driveshaft..

I will jack it up and see if that helps. Those bolts are off because I was attempting to just disconnect it everywhere I could in an attempt to get it off, but understanding that it was not going to help me at all now lol .

Old 05-15-2021, 10:13 PM
Ramchie
Professional

Originally Posted by Keith_L
I'm not sure an exhaust manifold leak would make truck shake and going into 4wd, even on dry pavement at speed, shouldn't cause this

I'm still struggling to make heads or tails of most of the pics but I wouldn't panic yet. I think it might be repairable....
Honestly exhaust manifold leak is kind of putting it lightly.. I'm not positive that's what caused this though. Like hey you suggested probably time for a transmission swap.

Busy as hell right now but gonna get back to it soon. I guess I cant really investigate the transmission once the drive shafts are off?

Old 05-15-2021, 11:40 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramchie
Honestly exhaust manifold leak is kind of putting it lightly.. I'm not positive that's what caused this though. Like hey you suggested probably time for a transmission swap.

Busy as hell right now but gonna get back to it soon. I guess I cant really investigate the transmission once the drive shafts are off?
Once you have the transfer case out of the truck, it would be good to see photos of the front of the transfer case and photos of the front driveshaft and the rear driveshaft. I'm wondering if something caused your transfer case to violently buck to cause the carnage at the rear of your transmission, like a binding U-joint in the front driveshaft.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:03 AM
John Grieve
Default Ijs

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Once you have the transfer case out of the truck, it would be good to see photos of the front of the transfer case and photos of the front driveshaft and the rear driveshaft. I'm wondering if something caused your transfer case to violently buck to cause the carnage at the rear of your transmission, like a binding U-joint in the front driveshaft.
If you carefully lower the skid plate. What's left of the transfer case will slide forward off of the driveshaft.
I've been under my 98 twice in the past 4 months replacing cracked rearcase halves. My pain ain't like your pain but I feel ya man. Btw I'll listen if anyone wants to advise why I've lost two rear transfer case halves. They crack open and didn't have load on the truck, the u joints are recent. I've pulled the front shaft for the time being, as if it might be shaking the transfer case. Scratching muh head on the why.
Thanks

Old 05-16-2021, 11:20 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by John Grieve
If you carefully lower the skid plate. What's left of the transfer case will slide forward off of the driveshaft.
I've been under my 98 twice in the past 4 months replacing cracked rearcase halves. My pain ain't like your pain but I feel ya man. Btw I'll listen if anyone wants to advise why I've lost two rear transfer case halves. They crack open and didn't have load on the truck, the u joints are recent. I've pulled the front shaft for the time being, as if it might be shaking the transfer case. Scratching muh head on the why.
Thanks
Could it possibly be an issue with your double cardigan joint on the front driveshaft, a balance issue with the front driveshaft or an internal issue with the transfer case?

Old 05-25-2021, 03:58 PM
Ramchie
Professional

Originally Posted by John Grieve
Thanks
Since all of this has started, I went and bought another 97 5.9. Got a backseat now. Still going to do my best to fix the rust bucket though

Just today getting back underneath. Trying to get the skid plate off to try this idea. T case seems pretty damn heavy, hoping for the best lol.

I almost got it to slide off in its current orientation. I think so anyways. Assuming that shaft that goes from the back of tcase to driveshaft is like 7 inches or so. Need another inch. Tried jacking t case up but still not enough room.

Meanwhile ive been hammering on rear drive shaft connection to differential. No avail, bitch is hanging on tight. I figure once I get the t case down I can pull it off better...

Old 05-25-2021, 04:36 PM
Ramchie
Professional

This is were Im at now.

Front of transfer case

Rear driveshaft hanging on tight.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:41 PM
Ramchie
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
For the rear shaft, need to drop the differential end, and then the shaft will slide out of the t-case.
I just re read this. I don't think I understand what you mean.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Unbolt the driveshaft from the rear diff, likely have to pry the u-joint out of the yoke. Then, the shaft *should* just pull out of the t-case. If it doesn't, two things. 1. Now you know why the flange broke...... and 2. Need to find out why it's jammed up.

At this point, you *should* be able to just pull the t-case off the shaft. If it's stuck on there though..... need to figger out why.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:35 PM
Ramchie
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Unbolt the driveshaft from the rear diff, likely have to pry the u-joint out of the yoke. Then, the shaft *should* just pull out of the t-case. If it doesn't, two things. 1. Now you know why the flange broke...... and 2. Need to find out why it's jammed up.

At this point, you *should* be able to just pull the t-case off the shaft. If it's stuck on there though..... need to figger out why.
Okay. When you say unbolt the driveshaft from the diff- were talking about those 4 bolts that hold the 2 retainers?

I can almost just pull the t case off but now the front drive shaft is hitting the frame, blocking me. I would just take the front drive shaft off now that its lower, but it's eben more of a bitch for some of the bolts with it pointed up like that

Quick Reply: My transmission to transfer case flange broke..