2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission drag in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2021, 12:37 AM
Bryan Gann
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission drag in reverse

2002 Dodge ram 1500 , 5.9l,, 2wd 46re transmission I believe. I've always had issues with the truck not moving very easily in reverse. Transmission fluid and filter changed. Governor sensor and accumulator spring new and the front and rear bands are both torqued and adjusted to spec.

Main question I have is, with both rear tires off of ground and transmission in neutral and engine off, I can barely turn tires in reverse/backwards by hand. Spinning forward moves more freely. No dragging brakes and I've disconnected driveshaft and it's for sure coming from tranny. This can't be normal....I mean it's very tough to turn by hand. And it's got the posi limited slip rear end, both tires spin same direction with them off of ground.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Do the tires turn easily in both directions with the driveshaft out?

Old 05-17-2021, 04:56 PM
Bryan Gann

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do the tires turn easily in both directions with the driveshaft out?
yes, the rear end by itself spins fairly free. But not tranny especially in reverse while in neutral

Old 05-17-2021, 05:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Something is either jammed up, or adjusted too tight. Trans been touched in recent history?

Old 05-17-2021, 06:20 PM
Bryan Gann

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Something is either jammed up, or adjusted too tight. Trans been touched in recent history?
I replaced the broken accumulator spring and governor sensor like 2 year's ago and just recently I did a fluid change and filter , and also checked front and rear bands and torqued to spec and backed off
As far as I know, it's always had this drag to it. The truck itself always has been gutless.
motor has 150psi compression all the way around. Electric fan. Just put in new valves, port and polish heads,kegger mod, ported stock throttle body, shorty headers with dual flowmasters, and it has the 3.90 gears in rear end and I did a fluid change on it about 1 year ago.
other than that stuff,stock tires.
I know it's a heavier truck being a crew cab as well and only had 245hp stock, but I swear my buddies crew cab with 4.7 will easier pull away from me.
My truck takes anywhere from 11 to 13sec to go 0to60.
And it's running somewhat rich, new injectors, fuel pump and regulator, plugs wires etc
I'm pretty mechanically inclined, and this is my first time ever posting. But I'm stumped on this gutless thing lol.

Side note: bought the truck with clogged catalytic converters. Fixed that and did a valve job and plenum gasket. Which made it run good. And the kegger intake I modded just has the shortened runner and the plenum has been welded up,so no more leak ever.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:26 PM
Bryan Gann

Another side note.
NEw iac, tps, o2 sensors, map sensor, cam sensor,. All tested and working fine. Refurbished ECU about 1 year ago, old one died. I did get a crank sensor, but it acted up, so went back to stock one, might check that out. But I swear it has a random misfire, but no codes and my scan tool won't do misfire counters and also won't do fuel sync. I set fuel sync by multimeter and V8 mark on balancer. I've readjusted it so many times and found the sweet spot somewhat.

Old 05-17-2021, 06:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What brand O2 sensors? Cam sensor?

These engines are REALLY sensitive to sensor brands.... Not entirely sure why, but, there it is. Some of the aftermarket sensors just suck..... and I won't use them in ANY repair job. Some are OK, but, these trucks still don't like 'em.

As for the trans, has it always been like that? Did you find anything untoward in the pan when you changed the fluid/filter? How did you adjust the bands? What specs did you use?

Old 05-17-2021, 07:04 PM
Bryan Gann

Currently ntk o2 sensors, but I have like 8 other ones different brands. I also have about 4 of each sensor including OEM and cheap ones currently OEM on it now. Found nothing out of the ordinary I believe in tranny. I adjusted the bands to like 6in lbs for front and the back off like 2 3/4 turns and read was similar but I think it was little different. I'll see if I can find exact specs.
I did notice tranny fluid seems to slightly leak through one of the electrical connections. There's 2 connections right by the kick down cable and shifter arm. 1 round and the other rectangle, those I have not done anything with other than fix a couple broken wires way back. I think it's the transmission control solenoid?

Old 05-17-2021, 07:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ok, sounds like you got pretty much everything sensor-wise covered. NTK is good, as is OEM. (imagine that.....)

One of the sensors up by the linkage is likely the trans range sensor. I don't know if there is a separate neutral safety switch on your truck or not..... Regardless, I don't think any of that is the issue. I think you have an internal mechanical problem on the trans.....

Band adjustment (according to the manual) is torque the adjust bolts to 72 inch/pounds (6 ft/lbs....) then back off a few turns. Opinions vary on how much to back 'em off, but, if anything, your might be a tad loose, not going to induce any undue drag in the trans.....

One would think if there was some kind of contact going on in there, you would HEAR it........ or, at the very least, find some evidence of it in the pan/on the magnet when you dropped the pan.

I really don't know if there is a spec for torque required to turn the trans output shaft in neutral......

Old 05-17-2021, 11:35 PM
Bryan Gann

It's weird. No noise at all. Just drag, as if brakes are on or maybe bands too tight. Idk. Maybe I'll take a quick video to show

Quick Reply: Transmission drag in reverse