2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

exhaust pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 11:39 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Well, there's no cat on the Jegs!
1 - The tabs are to hold the bolts so they can be removed/installed from underneath. If keeping the old ones, just put the nut on and tighten. The tab holds the bolt. If they're shot, you'll need new exhaust bolts from any auto store.
2 - Yes, only on the downstream so it reads differently enough to keep the pcm happy. Get a set of two from said parts store. Drill out the bottom of one so the sensor can fit in. Screw the two foulers together using locktite with the drilled one on top. Insert the sensor in the top one. Insert whole assy in the bung with anti-seize and vroooom!

Old 06-01-2021, 12:11 AM
norteno
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for that....I need step by step stuff like that... thanks all of yooz for the instructions... I know what I'm dealing with now..I picked out the jegs y pipe because it does not have a cat... there are no more emissions test here in Minnesota anymore so I don't need one but still have to leave the 02 sensors in...

Last edited by norteno; 06-01-2021 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:47 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Originally Posted by norteno
thanks for that....I need step by step stuff like that... thanks all of yooz for the instructions... I know what I'm dealing with now..I picked out the jegs y pipe because it does not have a cat... there are no more emissions test here in Minnesota anymore so I don't need one but still have to leave the 02 sensors in...
Exact reason I used it on mine here in WA. That and, I was sick of going through cats like candy.

Old 06-01-2021, 09:24 AM
norteno
Professional

So has the CEL ever come on since you put the y pipe in? And how does your truck idle and accelerate now? Can you tell the difference?

Old 06-01-2021, 09:53 AM
norteno
Professional

Oh, and did the O2 sensors reach the bung holes okay without stretching the wires and would yooz recommended replacing them? Would that make a difference in any way?

Old 06-01-2021, 10:00 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 306 Likes on 289 Posts

For what its worth, I decided to upgrade to 3" exhaust when my cat became old and worn out. The parts I used are as follows:

Dynomax UltraFlo Welded Muffler - 17233
Magnaflow Converter - 99047HM (dual 2" inlets, 3" outlet, front O2 sensor port)

I took these items to a local exhaust shop and they added the 3" straight I needed, along with fabricating/bending a 3" tailpipe (plus adding an O2 bung in the 3" pipe behind the converter for the downstream O2 sensor) and welded everything up. The shop re-used my stock Y-pipe and welded it into the new converter. Truck feels powerful and the exhaust is tight and quiet.

Old 06-01-2021, 02:00 PM
Ramman18
Champion

No CEL and the Jegs is direct fit, drop in, or whatever you wanna call it. As long as the rear sensor is far enough away to read differently, it'll work. The Jegs was an immediate power boost over the stock y pipe.

Old 06-01-2021, 03:44 PM
norteno
Professional

Cool...well I have the muffler off... I have a magnaflow straight through muffler I put in last year...I have both 02 sensors loosened and three of the flange nuts/bolts loosened...shoot! I'm just waiting for the dang y pipe to be delivered before I saw off the old one..they said this Thursday it's coming in... I'm still wondering if the 02 wires reach the bung holes and don't get stretched out when installing them and using two non foulers.but I'm ready to go!!!

Old 06-01-2021, 04:03 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Stop wondering. Wires fit. That's what my last post implied liberally.

Old 06-01-2021, 09:59 PM
norteno
Professional

Right on! That's why I like this forum. Real life experience and nobody gets pissed off and says insulting stuff like I've seen on other sites..some guys really go at it.....there always seems to be some a hole... but not on this site... you guys are really helpful...thanks for listening to me..

Quick Reply: exhaust pipe