2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

exhaust pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 06:55 PM
norteno
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust pipe

I have 99 5.2 4X4 1500 extended cab,6 ft bed. The cat is clogged and I want to install either jegs off road y-pipe or walker 50505 pipe with cat whichever I can get. I got all the nuts and 02 sensors already loosened, except one, by wire brushing them and spraying PB blaster for two straight days and they came right off on the third day and I didn't have to torch them, thank goodness, except for the one nut. It just spins around. My questions are
1) does the drive shaft have to be removed in order to install a new y-pipe?
2) which is the best way attach the new pipes to the manifold? I've seen those OEM replacement bolts, nuts and flanges for sale and those flange repair kits that look like handcuffs. As expected, the bolts nuts and flanges are rusty but all came off pretty smooth except for that one, but I'm sure I could just cut it off, it just spins around. Yooz have helped me in the past and I trust your knowledge and experience... thanks for any input.

Last edited by norteno; 05-29-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:17 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by norteno
I have 99 5.2 4X4 1500 extended cab,6 ft bed. The cat is clogged and I want to install either jegs off road y-pipe or walker 50505 pipe with cat whichever I can get. I got all the nuts and 02 sensors already loosened, except one, by wire brushing them and spraying PB blaster for two straight days and they came right off on the third day and I didn't have to torch them, thank goodness, except for the one nut. It just spins around. My questions are
1) does the drive shaft have to be removed in order to install a new y-pipe?
2) which is the best way attach the new pipes to the manifold? I've seen those OEM replacement bolts, nuts and flanges for sale and those flange repair kits that look like handcuffs. As expected, the bolts nuts and flanges are rusty but all came off pretty smooth except for that one, but I'm sure I could just cut it off, it just spins around. Yooz have helped me in the past and I trust your knowledge and experience... thanks for any input.
1.Yes2. I use the exhaust bolts and nuts with the square that goes around the head so it doesn't spin

Old 05-29-2021, 08:32 PM
norteno
Professional

Good. Thanks for the quick response...so those squares (flanges) on top of the head just pry out??? or what?

Old 05-30-2021, 12:43 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by norteno
Good. Thanks for the quick response...so those squares (flanges) on top of the head just pry out??? or what?
They go into the bolt (like a nut) but side all the way to the head. They don't last long in a rust belt area but that's the best I've found, unless you can weld.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:42 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I use a torch to cut them off or just break them. Install new bolts that attach the exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold. Dodge uses bolt/nuts design, GM you have to drill out the manifold as they are thread, bad design and will make you a bunch more work.

Old 05-31-2021, 12:04 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

NO, the drive shaft does NOT need to be removed!! The exhaust is no where near either drive shaft.

Your only battle is rust. I have the Jegs Y pipe and it was really easy to install. I did buy new bolts since mine were too rusty to reinstall and used a wrench to hold the head. Easy to get one up there while laying underneath. I loosely installed each piece and tightened in sequence several times. I did use non-foulers for the second O2 fiy.

Old 05-31-2021, 12:14 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
NO, the drive shaft does NOT need to be removed!! The exhaust is no where near either drive shaft.

Your only battle is rust. I have the Jegs Y pipe and it was really easy to install. I did buy new bolts since mine were too rusty to reinstall and used a wrench to hold the head. Easy to get one up there while laying underneath. I loosely installed each piece and tightened in sequence several times. I did use non-foulers for the second O2 fiy.
Same as my experience. No front or rear driveshaft needs to be removed for exhaust work.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:04 PM
norteno
Professional

ok good news... that's 3 no's and 1 yes for removing drive shaft...thanks for the follow ups...the OEM bolts/nuts have a little "hanger/flange on each one that sits on top of the manifold bolt hole... 2 more questions
1) do I pry/dig them out and slide the new ones down and grip it with pliers or wrench while I thread the nut on?
2) do I need the non fouler on the down stream (second) 02 sensor only? I appreciate all the help as I wanna get it right the first time..thanks for listening to me...

Last edited by norteno; 05-31-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

1: Not sure.
2. Only on the post-cat sensor(s... if you have more than one.)

Old 05-31-2021, 06:36 PM
norteno
Professional

Yea... I have 2 o2 sensors.

Quick Reply: exhaust pipe