2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 11:15 AM
hutcho
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question

Good morning guys, new guy and new(to me truck). First non diesel second gen for me. Just an extended cab 1500 4x4, 360 and automatic. Ok now that thats out of the way, I got an issue with one of my cats. I have a terrible rattle coming from the driver side cat right off the exhaust manifold. I've done some research this morning and I can only find the magnaflow replacement for the setup I have. It has a cat off each manifold with an 02 sensor on either side. Then they Y in to another cat with no sensors. The cheapest drop in setup I can find is over a grand, not gonna happen. What are my options otherwise? I don't have inspections so those can go in the trash where they belong. To top it off the previous owner hacked the old flowmaster exhaust in to pieces so I'm gonna need to replace that as well. In a perfect world I would have duals and they would both exit in front of the rear passenger side tire, with no cats and no engine codes, and something like a magnaflow with no drone at highway speeds. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks yall!

Old 06-01-2021, 12:12 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Forget new cats if you don't gotta prove you got one. Use a 3" exhaust pipe. Cat back exhausts are available in the config you want. N...bobs your uncle!

Old 06-01-2021, 12:14 PM
hutcho

Originally Posted by true blue
Forget new cats if you don't gotta prove you got one. Use a 3" exhaust pipe. Cat back exhausts are available in the config you want. N...bobs your uncle!

What do you do with the 02? Not sure I wanna dump the $$ for a full tune just yet.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:27 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by hutcho
What do you do with the 02? Not sure I wanna dump the $$ for a full tune just yet.
Put it back where it belongs

Old 06-01-2021, 12:30 PM
hutcho

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Put it back where it belongs
it won't throw a code when it doesn't have the cat in-between them?

Old 06-01-2021, 12:35 PM
hutcho

If that's the case couldn't I just rod the cats out for now while I work on getting parts gathered up? I thought for sure I would have a CEL...

Old 06-01-2021, 01:10 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by hutcho
it won't throw a code when it doesn't have the cat in-between them?
The sensor before the cats are the most important. The ones behind the cats only monitor the cats and doing the O2 non fouler trick will stop the check engine light

The following users liked this post:
hutcho (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 01:35 PM
hutcho

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
The sensor before the cats are the most important. The ones behind the cats only monitor the cats and doing the O2 non fouler trick will stop the check engine light
Ok. My main goal is to get rid of the rattle. I'm 99% sure that's it, checked with a wood dowel up to my ear and it's the loudest right there. I have the old flowmasters here too that the guy hacked up, I think I'll pull the Y pipe off and clean the cats out and weld this muffler on while it's off and see where I'm at. Add the foulers in for good measure while it's apart. Nice and cheap. 😁

Old 06-01-2021, 02:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Non-fouler goes on the post-cat sensor ONLY.

The following users liked this post:
hutcho (06-01-2021)
Old 06-01-2021, 11:54 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

For what its worth, I decided to upgrade to 3" exhaust from the cat back when my cat became old and worn out. The parts I used are as follows:

Dynomax UltraFlo Welded Muffler - 17233
Magnaflow Converter - 99047HM (dual 2" inlets, 3" outlet, front O2 sensor port)

I took these items to a local exhaust shop and they added the 3" straight pipes I needed, along with fabricating/bending a 3" tailpipe (plus adding an O2 bung in the 3" pipe behind the converter for the downstream O2 sensor) and welded everything up. The shop re-used my stock 2" Y-pipe and welded it into the new converter. Truck feels powerful and the exhaust is tight and quiet.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question