2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Battery Cable/Terminal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 02:25 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
I generally am bringing old equipment back to life. Often it is the older cloth covered wires. Fuse blocks are small and sort of an after thought on those. I wouldn't even try to use 2 gauge on a late model fuse box. 6 volt cables are thicker as they use half the voltage but have a lot more amperage. Look at some late model 12 volt cables and they are really thin compared to the 6 volt cables. I'm looking at a '47 Dodge right now and thinking of putting an 8 volt tractor battery in it and adjust the generator to 9 volts. That won't blow the lights but will really crank the starter.

If I were to make a wire to a late model fuse station, I'd probably go up one or two gauges.
I am going to upgrade my cables and open on replacing all the wires (even ones going to the fuse block) to at least 2 gauge.

Old 06-15-2021, 04:32 PM
J D GA
Rookie
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hot terminals

Edit: This reply of mine is not where it should be, can't delete it either. DodFor Web Master: Please change the Reply function to show reply below the post we're replying to, not to end of thread. It was like that once before. Thanks.

Last edited by J D GA; 06-15-2021 at 04:47 PM. Reason: ​​​​​​Reply didn't appear where I wanted it. Delete from this position
Old 06-15-2021, 04:37 PM
J D GA
Rookie
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hot terminals

Originally Posted by Moparite
If you look up some battery terminals used for car stereo you can get any thing you would need.

https://www.amazon.com/Connectors-SU.../dp/B07QZRKXSL
Those are nice! I had no idea there was such a thing. Thanks for posting.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:15 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by J D GA
Those are nice! I had no idea there was such a thing. Thanks for posting.

Over the years, I've gotten several vehicles where someone put a "system" in it. I try to avoid that as they tend to butcher the wires. On the other hand, I've salvage some high end hardware. Super heavy duty with gold plated connections. Almost NO amperage loss from end to end of a power line.

Quick Reply: Battery Cable/Terminal Replacement