2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air bag light comes on when turning steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 04:23 AM
KDodge@218
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air bag light comes on when turning steering wheel

I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota slt.. I recently replaced upper & lower control arms & tie rod on passenger side. Once completed I noticed when I turned steering wheel all the way right or left, air bag light would come on & chime. It has since progressed to just about any little turn of the wheel it comes on.. only for a minute or two then shuts off till the next movement. Have been told it could be the clock spring however when air bag light is on, the horn & cruise control still work as they should. Need more ideas cuz the warning chime is quite annoying. Please & Thanks

Old 06-25-2021, 06:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,294 Likes on 3,041 Posts

You can test the clock spring.... but, I think that would be redundant. There are a lot of connections there, and it isn't an all-or-nothing affair.

Old 06-25-2021, 10:35 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 585 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by KDodge@218
I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota slt.. I recently replaced upper & lower control arms & tie rod on passenger side. Once completed I noticed when I turned steering wheel all the way right or left, air bag light would come on & chime. It has since progressed to just about any little turn of the wheel it comes on.. only for a minute or two then shuts off till the next movement. Have been told it could be the clock spring however when air bag light is on, the horn & cruise control still work as they should. Need more ideas cuz the warning chime is quite annoying. Please & Thanks

I'd say eventually the horn and cruise will quit working. The clock spring is starting to fail and will probably keep getting worse. The thing to remember is when the light is lit, you have no air bags. I watched a crash yesterday where a car ran a stop sign and the front and side air bags deployed. A few bumps and scrapes was all anybody got and it was a hard hit.

Quick Reply: Air bag light comes on when turning steering wheel