2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel sync with advanced cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 07:46 PM
tshephard
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew which way it turns, but not the common, DRB, Snapon defintion of + and - for sync.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I *think* + is advanced, and - is retarded.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:08 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It's important for STARTING the engine though..... I do believe cam sensor is more about WHICH injector to fire, more than WHEN to fire it.
Exactly !

So, the difference a couple degrees either way determines if the injector fires before the valve closes........ So, some precision is necessary. Purpose here being, the injectors are still timed right, even as the timing chain stretches over the years/decades the chain is in there.
And no, again you're falling into the trap of thinking the cam sensor is used to *time* injectors when it only *selects* injectors (as you correctly stated above). The fuel sync adjustment makes sure the PCM knows far enough in advance which injectors are coming up so it can go through its internal processing. If fuel sync is too far off the PCM will fire the wrong injectors.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:19 AM
tshephard
Rookie

Well, I tried a few things to get it to settle in.
A couple of battery offs, reloaded 'death flash', and turned the distributor clockwise gradually - about a full wire post - looking for a limit to 1391.
Never found one, but it ran so smooth, idled right at 700 without any hunting, no codes, etc., I could not justify touching it again.

So ended up as:
CPS at mechanical limit after slotting (from before),
stock cam advanced 12 degrees (degreed out to 3.5 advanced),
distributor CW about a wire from oil drive at 1 bolt, and dist at cyl 1 (by the book).

I imagine :
I made up for crank sensor, cam advance and chain slop.

Purrs - I'm out for now!

I gotta' wait a couple of days for inspection, then I can try some OTR tuning.
(I'm just too old for stupid tickets...)

Last edited by tshephard; 08-03-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:07 PM
tshephard
Rookie

So, got it inspected and battery tested.
600 amps from a much bigger battery - 850 or so - so 30% deficient.
Rolling fine, hot idle oil pressure in the 4 character of 40 .
Steady 600 RPMS.
NEW battery, hoping it fix P0505 (that does not troubleshoot) since it can be a starting voltage problem.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

P0505 is for IAC circuit...... Check the connector for the IAC, (unplug it) should see 12 volts on two of the wires.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:21 PM
ralston106
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While this topic is alive. I need some Info. When I put in a new double roller timing set In my 5.9 I used the cloyes and weren’t ahead and advanced the cam +4 degrees from stock with the timing set. Fuel sync is also set on +4 afterwards. Is this ok or should I be retarding the distributor? I tried to research this as much as possible when I did but didn’t get all the info I was looking for. But did it anyways. My truck runs fine no issues. I just wanted to advance the timing to maybe get some more top end out of it. I just want to know if I have it all set up right or should I set my distributor somewhere else?

Old 08-06-2021, 04:03 AM
tshephard
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
P0505 is for IAC circuit...... Check the connector for the IAC, (unplug it) should see 12 volts on two of the wires.
That's what I meant when I said it doesn't troubleshoot - been through all the pages 3 or 4 times - no faults found.
Others say standing low battery voltage can cause this - as it is checked as it starts (I can get the code without actually starting).

Old 08-06-2021, 04:12 AM
tshephard
Rookie

Originally Posted by ralston106
While this topic is alive. I need some Info. When I put in a new double roller timing set In my 5.9 I used the cloyes and weren’t ahead and advanced the cam +4 degrees from stock with the timing set. Fuel sync is also set on +4 afterwards. Is this ok or should I be retarding the distributor? I tried to research this as much as possible when I did but didn’t get all the info I was looking for. But did it anyways. My truck runs fine no issues. I just wanted to advance the timing to maybe get some more top end out of it. I just want to know if I have it all set up right or should I set my distributor somewhere else?
Thus the thread! This is where I started.
My P1391 extremes test didn't work - ran out of travel before I got to other side.
I don't think DIY types have actually tested while reading/setting sync - we're just twisting 'til it runs.
I'm also not sure sure that isn't exactly right after moving parts' timing anyway.

I do recall advance should improve LOWER end - not top end.

I brought my stock cam along almost 12 degrees advanced - to where it checks at +3.5 - hoping for low end efficiency.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:53 AM
ralston106
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My never threw any codes or anything. I used snap on scanner to set my fuel sync I just didn’t know if I had it set up right or not. Still kinda confused on it

Quick Reply: Fuel sync with advanced cam