2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission clunk when acclerating.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 08:59 AM
Xombi
Professional
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Angry Transmission clunk when acclerating.

2001 Ram 2500 re 46 5.9 v8 gasser. 75k miles. 2wd lb. reg cab. It is driven once a week. The transmission clunks when I give the engine gas initially from a stop. . Shifts fine and positive. Downshifts well. I did have it rebuilt, with a new converter and an upgrade on the solenoids. Trans cooler.
If I am cruising along with my foot off the gas and accelerate it thunks. It is not slop in the ujoints or differential. If it was a manual I would guess end play.
Longest trip it has seen was 200 miles. Use it for towing cars on a trailer on occasion and dump runs.
Is it something to worry about, because this revitalization has got me at the end of my patience.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Can you post an audio file of the noise??

If the trans is staying in gear, then it likely is slop somewhere in the system. Or possibly a bad mount somewhere....

Old 08-03-2021, 11:26 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Have you checked the pinion nut at the differential? And also is the driveshaft a two piece with a rubber boot on it? If you have the rubber boot on the driveshaft. Peel it back and fill it with grease.

Quick Reply: Transmission clunk when acclerating.