2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

It was one of those days - don't drive angry

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 04:25 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Back around 1973 or so, I was helping build a race car for the local track. The class we were running in had added a requirement for a windshield with three bars behind it for safety. We had the hood off working on the engine getting it tuned. I never drink when I'm working on something but he was working his way through a case. Hey, it was his car, his money and his garage. I had removed the adjusters from the drum brakes and set them to stop but lessen drag in motion. Discs work better but don't have springs to pull them back.

I heard him cussing up a storm, more than normal for him. I talked him into going in the house for a little bit to eat something and cool off. He had a large ratchet in his hand and as he got to the door, he turned and threw it at the engine. Where it bounced off the intake and hit the BRAND NEW EXPENSIVE lightweight glass. He was not happy.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:26 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Figured out what it was.

So apparently, my rebuilt suspension and steering parts now cause the tires to rub at full lock. It just did that weird shaking banging noise again today and I was backing up super slowly in a parking lot. Hopped out to find the tires rub on the upper control arms. On both sides. Evenly.

Not sure how this started happening. I've had bigger tires than these and they didn't rub. Maybe the new T steering allows more movement? Who knows. Anyway, my being angry that day had nothing to do with it. My old girl is just fine.

Old 08-30-2021, 09:12 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

That is very weird. Maybe when you rebuilt the track bar, the axle isn't 100% centered?

Old 08-30-2021, 09:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,259 Likes on 3,006 Posts

I would be checking toe. That's about the only thing I can think of that would account for it.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:39 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Toe is dead nuts on. I took my time measuring several times.

To the eye, the axle is also dead on. Everything looks really good. I added a little positive castor to help tracking is all. My only thought is the track bar is not allowing any "flex" in the components and now that it is completely tight, the tires actually rub a little. When before, the whole works moved enough to not allow rub?

I even checked the stoppers on the knuckles. Both sides have the same little mark.

It's moot at this point. I leave at 5am for another road trip from WA to MN. We'll see how she does.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:04 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Toe is dead nuts on. I took my time measuring several times.

To the eye, the axle is also dead on. Everything looks really good. I added a little positive castor to help tracking is all. My only thought is the track bar is not allowing any "flex" in the components and now that it is completely tight, the tires actually rub a little. When before, the whole works moved enough to not allow rub?

I even checked the stoppers on the knuckles. Both sides have the same little mark.

It's moot at this point. I leave at 5am for another road trip from WA to MN. We'll see how she does.
I dealt with some tire rub but your theory I think might be correct.

Quick Reply: It was one of those days - don't drive angry