2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quad cab rear seat belt tensioner question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 07:49 AM
aresf11
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quad cab rear seat belt tensioner question

On the 2nd gen quad cabs (I have a 2001 if that matters), does anyone know if the rear outboard seatbelts are supposed to have tensioners? I tried to install my son's carseat back there, but both belts (driver and passenger side) won't go into "locking mode" if you pull them all the way out. Likewise, if you pull them really fast (like a panic stop situation), they don't lock either. I'm wondering if they both just happen to be malfunctioning or if they never had this design feature to begin with.

I already have one seat installed in the middle with the lap belt, hence the reason I need one of the side belts for a second.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,965 Posts

I *think* they should lock with a hard yank.... but, I will have to test that theory.... otherwise, there is a little weight dangling in the retractor, that will lock them on hard deceleration.... (like, if you hit something.....)

Old 08-04-2021, 08:43 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

They are suppose to lock with a hard yank!

Old 08-04-2021, 09:33 AM
aresf11
Amateur

Thanks, guys. I guess that feature (lock with hard yank) is broken on both of my rear belts. Thankfully, the driver front belt still does that!

As far as the second feature goes, would you mind testing your trucks to see whether if you pull them all the way out, they go into retract-only mode (like they do on all new vehicles)? If so, I might just break down and buy a replacement for one side so I can get a carseat installed securely.

Last edited by aresf11; 08-04-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:56 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by aresf11
Thanks, guys. I guess that feature (lock with hard yank) is broken on both of my rear belts. Thankfully, the driver front belt still does that!

As far as the second feature goes, would you mind testing your trucks to see whether if you pull them all the way out, the they go into retract-only mode (like they do on all new vehicles)? If so, I might just break down and buy a replacement for one side so I can get a carseat installed securely.
I can check when I get off work!

The following users liked this post:
aresf11 (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 10:31 AM
aresf11
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I *think* they should lock with a hard yank.... but, I will have to test that theory.... otherwise, there is a little weight dangling in the retractor, that will lock them on hard deceleration.... (like, if you hit something.....)
Thanks. Yeah, I know the purpose is crash-related. But I've also been able to simulate a crash scenario by just giving a belt a hard yank on just about every vehicle I've ever tried (except, of course, the rear belts in my truck).

Maybe my next step is that I have to crash into something to see if the rear belts work.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:10 AM
aresf11
Amateur

Would anyone mind checking their 2nd gen quad cab rear seat belts for me?

1. I'd like to know if when you pull it completely out, it will only retract until it's all the way back to its original position (what you do to buckle carseats in place).
2. Would also be nice to know if they lock when you give them a hard yank (simulating a sudden deceleration/crash situation).

I appreciate the help. This will help me decide whether I head to the dealer to buy a new seatbelt assembly, which I'm sure won't be cheap.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,965 Posts

On mine (early 98), doesn't matter how hard I yank on 'em, they don't lock. I can pull them out any distance, let them retract some, and still pull them out any distance. I am not able to get them to lock under any circumstances.

Might be tempted to go for a ride, and while the truck is moving try the same experiment. See if the behavior changes.

I did my tests with doors open, engine off, trans in park.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:05 PM
aresf11
Amateur

Thanks, @HeyYou . I really appreciate you taking the time to test yours. Obviously, that's only 2 data points, but I'd say there's a good chance they just weren't designed with locking features in mind.

Maybe I pull out some heavy-duty ratchet straps to secure the second carseat haha

Old 08-12-2021, 03:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Just tested mine. Off you pull all the way out it will only retract, yanking nothing happens. Started the truck and the yanking works then. Ratcheting still works

The following users liked this post:
aresf11 (08-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Quad cab rear seat belt tensioner question