2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ac system giving trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 09:39 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

I know it's in the line on the passenger side fender when my AC is running it seems like it is right by the headlight

Old 08-12-2021, 09:25 AM
Letsfixit
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yessir, I seen that on YOUTUBE but NEVER on a 94...AND there was always a DIMPLE or PINCH MARK... However, I will use the air compressor this a.m. and blow through it with about 50 lb of pressure both ways you know before I put my new accumulator that should come today. Every other piece except for the lines of course has been replaced with new except the evaporator I hope to God I don't have to change that. I think I'm going to take a piece of weed eater line and run up in that one tube and just see if I feel anything.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:42 AM
Letsfixit
Professional

Good morning, I blew through the system both directions at 50 lb then at 100 lb. Yes I cannot see that there is any type of obstructions. Of course the tubes are disconnected from the compressing unit it has the shipping block bolted back on it. Here is a question.
CAN I ADD SOME FLUID TO THE TUBE SUCH AS WATER AND BLOW SOME WATER THROUGH THE SYSTEM BECAUSE IT IS ONLY GOING THROUGH THE CONDENSER THE TUBE THE EVAPORATOR AND BACK OUT THE ACCUMULATOR?

Wait a min... Water won't come to the dryer of course...
I'm going to remove the old accumulator / dryer and then blow water through it how about that?

Last edited by Letsfixit; 08-12-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2021, 02:27 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Okay here's the newest info... You can see a picture of the block and the lines that come off the top of the compressor and a picture of the old accumulator...THE BLOCK AND THE LINES ARE COMPLETELY CLEAR.. (the accumulator is clear but I have a new one).....
The second photo I have a line in my hand and in the background you can see the exit line of the evaporator... THE LINE I HAVE IN MY HAND GOES IN THE TOP OF THE CONDENSER... THE LINE AROUND THE FENDER COMES OFF THE BOTTOM OF THE CONDENSER INTO THE TOP OF THE EVAPORATOR.. THAT PART OF THE SYSTEM BLOWS FREELY WITH NO RESTRICTIONS BOTH WAYS. ​​​​​​.. I did use water to purge that part of the system so I will blow it with air for an hour or so... I am in north Texas where it is hotter than blazes as well.... ANY THOUGHTS?

Old 08-12-2021, 03:28 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Can you view through the evaporator under the dash?

Old 08-12-2021, 03:33 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

No not without a major dismantle which I have already researched I have a new evaporator but that's the last thing I want to do however each piece of the system is taken apart I've broken every joint that can come apart I've removed the new evaporator and everything and have blown each line and each piece out with the air compressor at 50 to 100 lb including the evaporator which is still installed... Of course the new compressor it's still installed with the shipping cap put back on it. Everything is clear and I did find the orifice location. Now unless the orifice malfunctions under the pressure of the freon being in the system there is nothing that could be wrong that I can understand.

Old 08-12-2021, 03:41 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Here is a photo of the completely disassemble system you'll notice the green disconnector that is for the orifice is... The dryer is new I just got it today never installed. All of these pieces except for the dryer has been purged with water to ensure no blockage. Purge both directions. I personally evaporator with water and a blowing it out every several minutes. These pieces on the ground have been blown out a number of times and setting in the Texas Sun. . My only question is could the orifice malfunction under the pressure of a charge?

Old 08-12-2021, 03:46 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

No I don't see how. I think you just needed to jump the lie pressure switch to get it to start taking freon. I had to do that to a buddy's 4th gen beecher it wouldn't take freon

Old 08-12-2021, 03:50 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Okay okay understandable understandable I will show this to my AC tech when he comes back by today however 30 plus years on the system at 200,000 miles I mean it was worth changing anyway but explain this to me ... During the initial charging just jump the Hot side switch briefly? One second two second 10 seconds? With the motor running or not running? I know my check will probably know this but just in case.

Old 08-12-2021, 04:04 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Letsfixit
Okay okay understandable understandable I will show this to my AC tech when he comes back by today however 30 plus years on the system at 200,000 miles I mean it was worth changing anyway but explain this to me ... During the initial charging just jump the Hot side switch briefly? One second two second 10 seconds? With the motor running or not running? I know my check will probably know this but just in case.
Start the truck and try to charge it, if it fails (like before) jump the low pressure switch with a piece of wire and start charging (if using cans go until about half empty, if a machine only put a few ounces in). See if it will take a charge

Quick Reply: Ac system giving trouble