2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ac system giving trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 06:45 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

I would change the receiver/dryer, If any contamination got in the system if would be in there and can cause a blockage. I hope you or the AC guys are adding pag oil in.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Where is the orifice tube in that system?

Old 08-10-2021, 09:05 AM
Letsfixit
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To CHAMPION: the new AC compressor came with oil in it the right amount of oil was pre-installed in the compressor before shipping according to the paperwork that came with it....

To HEY YOU: yes I watch on YouTube about where an inline orifice may be located but it is identified by a peach mark on the tubing this tubing does not have any pinch marks anywhere on not one piece of it. I'm going to take a couple of photos I don't know maybe three and post them as well because just like the transmission issue this is just got me banging my head on the hood about it.

I WANT TO SEND MY APPRECIATION ALSO AGAIN TO HELP ME RECTIFY THIS SITUATION.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:19 AM
Letsfixit
Professional

The top photo shows where I can blow in the tube and goes to the entire system it comes back out the accumulator. The line I blow in is disconnected from the line that goes to the block that bolts to the top of the new compressor which I included a picture of the new compressor with the shipping block bolted back on it. And the bottom photo is the picture of the new condenser that I put on there along with the transmission cooler. But that covers the entire system the lines and the block that have been removed they are perfectly clear too. Yet after a 1 hour vacuum and apparently all the correct pressures after one half of a small can of 134 it quits taking the freon.

Old 08-10-2021, 05:27 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Why isn't the high side pressure sensor plugged in?

Old 08-10-2021, 05:31 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

I have everything disconnected if you blow the picture up you'll see that the block is off the top of the compressor and I put the shipping block back on there I have everything disconnected because I'm making sure there isn't any blockage I'll fix it to change the accumulator I've disconnected the two lines that go to the top of the compressor they are clear and they block is clear. I have an accumulator on the way and when it gets here I will change it. Put your system back together and try to have it vacuum and pumped again. I have an evaporator on the way too but I'm praying that I don't have to get in there and change that. The orifice I have yet to figure out where it is at on that 1994 5.2. like I said as it sits now I can put that hose to my mouth and blow through the whole system.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well that tends to indicate there isn't a permanent blockage.....

System is rated for around 300 PSI, have an air compressor?? Try blowing higher pressure air thru it. Low side is going to be 30-40 PSI for the most part, and I seriously doubt you can do that with your lungs.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:51 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Absolutely the only reason I didn't already blow the air through there at a higher pressure I didn't know if it would damage anything of course the only thing I'm worried about now is the evaporator because I'm fixing to change the accumulator anyway as soon as it gets here Friday. I ordered it evaporator but being blind in one eye I don't know if I can do all that interior pull out. So two questions... First question how much pressure should I use? Second question will it damage the orifice and where the heck is it? And here's another thought is the orifice for restricting it to only a one directional of flow?

Old 08-10-2021, 09:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The orifice tube is the transition from high pressure, to low pressure. So, I don't think you can damage it with anything your typical compressor will put out. (though, I think it would regulate it down to under 50 PSI, just for giggles) I don't *think* the orifice tube in one-directional..... but, not 100% on that. I also am not precisely sure just WHERE it is...... Service manual might show it.... but, according to dodge, you can't replace JUST the o-tube, gotta replace the line it is in. (the one between the condenser, and accumulator, I think.)

Old 08-11-2021, 03:20 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Understand completely. I have yet to find ANY tube with a PINCH MARK however... I will put the air to it tomorrow at 50psi. I'll go WITH the flow to see how that works, and then possibly, blow the other way if the results aren't too good going with the flow. I will certainly let you know. The accumulator comes in Friday so maybe we will have better results come Saturday. I will continue to research the position or placement of the orifice and remark on that too if it when I find out. As usual THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Quick Reply: Ac system giving trouble