2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ac system giving trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 08:17 PM
Letsfixit
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ac system giving trouble

I change the AC condenser the truck had hit a parking post and the bumper head poked a hole in it. I buy brand new condenser and put it on there I buy a brand new air conditioning compressor and put it on there and it still won't take a charge .. I can take the low side tube going to the condenser and disconnect the high side tube from the accumulator it blow through the entire system. Going to buy a new accumulator and put that on there but if there's a blockage how come I could blow through the entire system.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:14 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Did you have the AC turned on?

Old 08-09-2021, 09:18 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Yes sir I have had it to an AC person twice the first tech decided since the machine said charge failed to bring it back when his boss was there I did his boss told me it was the AC compressor. I got a new compressor and installed it and had a mobile AC man come out to my house. He said there was a blockage somewhere because it wouldn't even take but a half of small can of 134. He said something about head pressure was all the way up on one side and everything was like it should be it just wouldn't take the freon so he said there must be a blockage. But like I said I can blow to the entire system with my mouth with the lines off of the compressor of course

Old 08-09-2021, 09:21 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Letsfixit
Yes sir I have had it to an AC person twice the first tech decided since the machine said charge failed to bring it back when his boss was there I did his boss told me it was the AC compressor. I got a new compressor and installed it and had a mobile AC man come out to my house. He said there was a blockage somewhere because it wouldn't even take but a half of small can of 134. He said something about head pressure was all the way up on one side and everything was like it should be it just wouldn't take the freon so he said there must be a blockage. But like I said I can blow to the entire system with my mouth with the lines off of the compressor of course
You could jump the low pressure switch with a piece of wire and try it. If it still doesn't work then I would get the circuit to the compressor

Old 08-09-2021, 09:24 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Is that the switch that is on the accumulator because I have ordered a new accumulator and evaporator but I don't think I'm going to do the evaporator unless absolutely necessary when you turn the air conditioner on it has a short delay before engaging the clutch and the mobile tech said that was because the switch on the accumulator is working he had mentioned jumping it but he said since there was a delay that means that that was working but that's just what he was saying I'm just informing you of that I'm not saying he's right or wrong but yes the mobile text mentioned doing that but said it wasn't necessary so I don't know

Old 08-09-2021, 09:31 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Or is that switch you're talking about the inline switch on the tube that connected to the block that bolts to the top of the compressor.?
By the way this is a 1994 second generation Dodge 1500 Laramie 5.2 Magnum engine...

Last edited by Letsfixit; 08-09-2021 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:02 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Letsfixit
Or is that switch you're talking about the inline switch on the tube that connected to the block that bolts to the top of the compressor.?
By the way this is a 1994 second generation Dodge 1500 Laramie 5.2 Magnum engine...
not familiar with the switch locations on them. If it's the same as my 01 is by the accumulator. Jump it and see if the compressor stays running, But don't do this to long. If it does that's how you have to charge it until it gets some charge in it

Old 08-09-2021, 10:05 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Yes sir the compressor comes on it's brand new it has the delay on it apparently it's supposed to have a little delay to check to see if it has pressure before it comes on which that does work and it did take in some Freon I have a can of 134 and the blower the air did get slightly but only slightly cooler then it quit taking freon I don't know I will send some photos tomorrow like I did on my transmission. Thread and maybe that will kind of help you help me with this because that's two AC technicians that are scratching their head. Man I appreciate it you don't know how much.

Old 08-09-2021, 10:49 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Did anyone ever vacuum out the system after you changed the A/C parts you mentioned? Once the system is in a vacuumed state, the refrigerant (R134a) will literally be sucked into the system once its introduced through the low side charging port. With air in the system, you will definitely find it difficult to add refrigerant (R134a) to the system.

Old 08-09-2021, 11:03 PM
Letsfixit
Professional

Yes sir I have had one apprentice tech perform the whole system set up like you say and when it refused the next day his boss went through the same process he's actually certified... And he said the compressor was bad because of the way the machine was giving I don't know some kind of erratic so I bought a compressor and install it..then I called a certified AC mobile technician out to my house and yes he went to the vacuum process for an hour had the gauges hooked up to it he's supposed to be certified as well I can only go by what they tell me and he put a half a can of r34a into the system before it quit taking freon. He said it was a blockage like I said and but I can blow to the entire system with my mouth I mean not really easily but it's going to a lot of small tubing fans on the condenser through the condenser through the line through the accumulator into the evaporator and back out of the evaporator where I have it disconnected and it blows all the way through. I disconnected the high low side tubing block from the compressor and reinstall the shipping cap that came with it while I'm diagnosing it. Everyone scratching their head about it.

Quick Reply: Ac system giving trouble