2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re transmission no forward gears, only reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 07:07 PM
duckdodgerz
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

donor transmission came from a 2001.

Old 08-25-2021, 07:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Cool, should be a direct swap then.

Old 08-28-2021, 10:02 PM
duckdodgerz
Amateur

Just finished the swap.

I bought some lubegard transmission cooler flush. Both lines are not connected to the transmission. I disconnected the line that goes into the top of the radiator. I tried to flush it, and it wasn't doing anything except making a little mess. I ran compressed air directly into the top transmission cooler port, and its either clogged, or I'm working against some kind of check valve. I'll reattach the line to the cooler tomorrow and attempt to run compressed air into the lines that go to the transmission.

Any thoughts on why air won't flow from where I sent compressed air?

Old 08-28-2021, 10:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There is a check valve in the line that connects to the lower fitting on the radiator. Get rid of it.

Old 08-31-2021, 12:28 PM
duckdodgerz
Amateur

Rookie mistake on my part. Check valve was doing its job. I reconnected the the line to the radiator, flushed the lines that were connected to the transmission. The flow was good, I flushed it out and the kleengard came out clear at the end. I used a compressor to push air before and after the kleengard flush.

After filling it, I took it for a couple of test drives and it shifts fine for R 1,2, and 3rd. OD will not kick in. I was going 55mph at 3400 rpms. I pushed the OD-OFF button to turn it on and off but the only thing that did was light up the OD OFF indicator light in the dash. I took it to a shop and they attached it to their fancy computer and they did connect to the PCM successfully and got no error codes.

I have been doing some reading and cannot confirm if this is a grounding issue. Should there be a mesh grounding wire from the transmission to the frame? If so, where should it be?

Lastly, After I the last fluid level check, it looks like I overfilled it by 1-2quarts and need to drain it. The fluid is at the bent part of the dipstock. Would this cause the OD to not engage?

Old 08-31-2021, 12:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

O/D is controlled purely by the PCM, it doesn't care about fluid level. It just needs to know how fast your are going, how hard you are stepping on the go pedal, etc. Generally, if O/D does NOT engage, and no codes are set........ something is telling the PCM NOT to engage O/D. Generally I see this on older truck, (pre-2000 model year) with the wrong electronics in the trans. PCM thinks fluid is too hot, and won't engage O/D. Of course, that doesn't set a code either.

If you can, monitor trans temp when you think you should be in O/D. See what it says.

Last edited by HeyYou; 08-31-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:51 PM
duckdodgerz
Amateur

would a temp sensor wire open circuit throw an engine code? I has read that if the temp sensor was disconnected, it wouldn't go into OD either.

Old 08-31-2021, 02:55 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If the wire is off the plug it won't go into closed loop and sets a code. 1-4 and OD still work as does reverse..

Old 09-01-2021, 07:02 AM
Thomas bridges
Amateur
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like the electronics are causing the issue. You could swap the ones from your old trans and see if anything changes... And I'm not 100% but you could also try adjusting your tv cable.. I know with mine I have to stomp on the throttle to hit O/D sometimes... It could just be because my cable is stiff.. Who knows

Old 09-02-2021, 12:58 PM
duckdodgerz
Amateur

My bluetooth OBDII wasn't working, I took it to a shop to get the vehicle inspected, and no codes were thrown. I just got a new cheap one from amazon and it works. Using TorquePro, it isn't reading any transmission temp at all. Shouldn't it be?

I now get 2 codes related to a major vacuum canister/evaporator leak, I'll address that later.

Quick Reply: 46re transmission no forward gears, only reverse