2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re transmission no forward gears, only reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 08:42 AM
duckdodgerz
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46re transmission no forward gears, only reverse

I've spent some time reading the older posts, and haven't found one that describes the problems with the truck. I first thought about just replacing the transmission, and that is still on the table. After coming back from vacation, it got me thinking about seeing what the problem might actually be. I just bought the the truck and it only has 81k miles. I was aware of the transmission problem when I bought it, but hey, it was 700 bucks for a no rust texas truck.

Facts and Symptoms

-2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 2wd with a 46re
-None of the forward gears work. It's as if you are not even shifting into them
-Reverse works fine. At first, there was no noise. Now, it makes a ticking noise that speeds up as you go faster, I presume from the transmission itself.
-I don't believe the fluid smells burnt. I will compare it the smell today with a fresh quart of ATF-4.
-there is a little bit of fluid leaking in the front of the transmission where the transmission cover and bell housing meet, where the torque convert would be.
-there are no OBDII codes

I found the transmission diagnostics in the DIY section NO DRIVE RANGE/(REVERSE OK)

The fluid level seems to be overfilled. I started the truck, put it in neutral, and the fluid is very much past the max line. I don't know what the previous owner did, but I suspect he put more fluid without measuring properly.

I'll start working through the diagnostic list this week. Any pointers on what this might be off hand?

Old 08-16-2021, 06:26 PM
Steven Jones
Rookie

Originally Posted by duckdodgerz
I've spent some time reading the older posts, and haven't found one that describes the problems with the truck. I first thought about just replacing the transmission, and that is still on the table. After coming back from vacation, it got me thinking about seeing what the problem might actually be. I just bought the the truck and it only has 81k miles. I was aware of the transmission problem when I bought it, but hey, it was 700 bucks for a no rust texas truck.

Facts and Symptoms

-2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 2wd with a 46re
-None of the forward gears work. It's as if you are not even shifting into them
-Reverse works fine. At first, there was no noise. Now, it makes a ticking noise that speeds up as you go faster, I presume from the transmission itself.
-I don't believe the fluid smells burnt. I will compare it the smell today with a fresh quart of ATF-4.
-there is a little bit of fluid leaking in the front of the transmission where the transmission cover and bell housing meet, where the torque convert would be.
-there are no OBDII codes

I found the transmission diagnostics in the DIY section NO DRIVE RANGE/(REVERSE OK)

The fluid level seems to be overfilled. I started the truck, put it in neutral, and the fluid is very much past the max line. I don't know what the previous owner did, but I suspect he put more fluid without measuring properly.

I'll start working through the diagnostic list this week. Any pointers on what this might be off hand?
know if the previous owner dropped the pan? Id drop the pan first see what type of evidence you find in there. See if theres any big shards or pieces of metal. That will tell you most likely right away if its salvageable.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Might try unplugging the 8 pin connector on the drivers side of the trans, 'bout halfway back. This will disable all the electronics in the trans, so, zero automatic function, and no TCC or O/D. You will have to shift manually. See if you get any forward gears that way. If you don't, time to drop the pan, and see if you find anything interesting.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:34 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Could be a broken planetary gear set or burnt clutches. You may want to drop the pan and inspect.

Old 08-17-2021, 05:09 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Do the plug removal like Hey You said 1st.

I rebuilt the transmission on my 01 5.9(g) 4x4 at 86000. The OD frictions were burnt and one of the gears, can't remember which one. You can replace the OD section on the back of the transmission if only the OD isn't working. When you pull the pan, are there any valve body bolts loose? I had one out about 1/2" and 2 that were only finger tight. My close friend owned the truck before I did and the tranny was never worked on. The fluid was never changed. It was red fluid and working properly when I picked it up and brown when I got home and in limp mode. Luck of the draw.

Last edited by PR1AWRet; 08-17-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:52 PM
duckdodgerz
Amateur

I added fluid, got it to the ok range of dip stick. Unplugged the 8 pin connector and shifted to L1, L2, D, reverse, and neutral. Reverse is still the only one that works. When I put it in L1,L2, or D, the rpm drops 50 or so, but doesn't go any where. Something else that I failed to mention is that the interior of this truck was vandalized. Looks like someone took a pry bar and disassembled the whole thing. The shifter seems to shift ok and feels solid in each of the selections, but in drive specifically, the orange line, the selector, is only exposed about halfway, and its hidden from the left side. I can move it to where it is fully visible, but then it doesn't feel engaged in a gear, so to speak.

I took a few picts. I've made the following observations:

1. there are stickers that are still on the transmission, I've counted 4. The truck is 20 years old, I'm surprised they are still there
2. I see evidence of wrench turning on the back half of the transmission, the coolant lines, etc. I've posted some pics
3. The pan gasket shows cracking on the outside rim, and there were no leaks or ATF on the pan before I dropped it. It appears to have never been dropped.
4. I do see small metal shavings in the bottom
5. The fluid is kinda sludgy.

Tomorrow I will remove the filter and check the bolts of the valve body as suggested.

Any advice on checking anything else before I pull the transmission?

Old 08-18-2021, 06:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't really see anything in the pan that would indicate a major failure. I expect to see some metal particles, and find filings..... not to mention the mud from the clutch material..... But, if even with the electronics disabled, you still don't have any forward gears, it's time for a rebuild.

Old 08-18-2021, 06:42 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Might want to drop the valve body since you are already in there. Have a look at the band anchors, bands and servos.

Old 08-25-2021, 11:49 AM
duckdodgerz
Amateur

I was able to pick up a working 46re from a 2001 ram for a couple hundred bucks with a recent rebuild. I'm going to swap but still keep the original transmission and inspect it to see what the problem might be.

I did get the aftermarket torque converter with it, but the donor truck had a 5.9, and I have a 5.2. As long as I use the original flexplate, do I need to consider anything else?

Old 08-25-2021, 05:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

T/C should be neutral balance, so, use the original flexplate on your motor, and should be good.

What year is the donor trans?

Quick Reply: 46re transmission no forward gears, only reverse