2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge ram V10 NO oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 03:23 PM
denn69
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dodge ram V10 NO oil pressure

As the title says I lost all oil pressure in my 2001 ram V10. For a while ive noticed that upon startup it would take a few seconds for the gauge to move. When driving it was fine. At 60 PSI usually. Last week I burnt a plug wire and parked it. Decided to replace the plugs with the wires and figured I would compression test it as well. Had almost an even 170psi on all cylinders so I put the plugs and wires back in and started it up. Immediately the top end was ticking like crazy, I went in the truck and saw the oil pressure gauge didnt move. I started it up a couple more times in hopes it was the gauge or something stupid and still no pressure so I shut it down and started taking it apart. I was going to hook a manual gauge up but the top end noise confirmed it wasn't getting oil up there. Dropped the pan to check out the pick up and screen and they were ok. Took the front of the engine apart and found the timing chain was stretched beyond belief. Removed the screw to gain access to the oil pump gears and found the outer gear was chewed up where it meets the timing cover. The timing cover is chewed up as well. I assume this is the problem. My question is are both gears supposed to spin? Also anyone with this experience know if I need a new timing cover or can I replace just the gears? It seems parts are non existent so the timing cover may be tough. I attached some pics. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Old 09-05-2021, 11:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Yep, both gears spin, you need to replace both of them, and the cover as well. No fixin' that.

Old 09-05-2021, 03:28 PM
denn69
Professional

Thanks for the reply. I figured that I would have to replace the cover. I had to laugh as I was posting this someone posted the same issue just before me. It’s impossible to find this timing cover. I’m going to be down for a bit I’m sure.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I can find them, searching on the part number, but, they are NOT cheap......

Old 09-07-2021, 01:56 PM
denn69
Professional

I found the covers as well for 600 dollars but they say discontinued. I found one used although it has a bit of damage on it it seems. Not sure if it will make a difference, the surfaces seem somewhat smooth. I haven't bought it yet. Wanted to get an opinion on it. I attached some pics. Sorry I should have resized them Thanks

Old 09-08-2021, 08:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Think I would take a file to the knarly stuff on that edge, aside from that, for a used piece, doesn't look too bad.

Old 09-15-2021, 09:51 AM
MADodge Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too had EXACTLY same issue happen to me, same approach, same exact timing cover and rotor gear issue.

If you don't buy this cover, I think I might take the chance.

Plenty of entire v-10 engines to buy across the country but I too had a great running v-10 until the oil pump issue.

Quick Reply: Dodge ram V10 NO oil pressure