2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Mangum swap to 5.9 ISB: What Do I Need to Know?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 09:09 PM
Hotshot1945
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.9 Mangum swap to 5.9 ISB: What Do I Need to Know?

Good afternoon my fellow dodge enthusiasts, I am looking into possibly swapping out the 5.9 Magnum in my 2001 2500 with a 5.9 ISB when my Magnum decides it doesn't want to work anymore. If memory serves me correctly, the engine mounts are interchangeable. I currently have the 46RE, which I would switch out with the 47RE. I know that my transfer case would also have to be switched, which is a shame because I am having a new one installed in the coming days because my trip to college made my current transfer case bite the dust during the last mile of the trip. I would go from a 241DLD to the 251DHD, which isn't a huge deal for me. My concern is more along the line of electronics and anything that would prevent the new engine, trans, and transfer case from communicating with the ECU. I'm sure its fairly common knowledge that the Magnum and Cummins had totally different ECU's, but would it require me to purchase an entirely new one to throw into the truck and reprogram the truck, or could I simply wipe my current ECU and load the Cummins programming onto it and get it up and running? If there is anything else I am missing it would be greatly appreciated for you to let me know. I haven't done anything with an engine swap in nearly 10 years when my bio dad and I swapped out the Triton V10 in an excursion out with a 6BT.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

You will need the wiring harness for der diesel, and a PCM already programmed for it wouldn't hurt either. Don't know if there are any electronic differences between the gas and diesel PCMs though. (would just need to have the new pcm flashed to your vin) There are likely going to be other issues as well.......

Quick Reply: 5.9 Mangum swap to 5.9 ISB: What Do I Need to Know?