2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear brake bounce

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 07:20 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear brake bounce

I've been having an issue with what I believe to be my rear brakes (drum brakes). When I'd go to brake from highway speeds, 60 mph+, and get down to about 40-30 it feels like my rear end starts bouncing, like the shoes are catching a spot on the drum, then releasing, then catching. Just a couple weeks ago I had to do new front rotors, pads and calipers (upgraded chevy calipers) to fix my front end brakes issue. While I was at it, I took the drums off, inspected the shoes and drums and all looks good, looks new. Took the drums in to be turned and the tech said one was definitely out of round a bit. Put them back on, adjusted the shoes to where they start to drag when the wheel is spinning freely and called it good. Test drove and the bounce went away slightly but was still present. Been driving it since and the bounce is back to where it was before. Should I set the shoes tighter? Ideas?

My leaf springs appear to be wore out or near it. They kind of have a reverse droop to them where they sit on the block and where the u bolts hold them. My next idea is that those are worn and maybe causing axle wrap on braking? I'm getting pretty annoyed at this bouncing. Anybody dealt with this before and fixed it? A google search yields some results, but with rear disc brakes on the newer trucks.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:16 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

Are the rear shocks old? If not, it may be time to replace them. Also, the rear brake hose may also be causing your issue, as they are known to break down on the inside of the hose and cause fluid to not flow through it properly.

Old 09-21-2021, 01:12 PM
chromed95
Captain

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Are the rear shocks old? If not, it may be time to replace them. Also, the rear brake hose may also be causing your issue, as they are known to break down on the inside of the hose and cause fluid to not flow through it properly.
Shocks all around are less than 2 years old. Bilstein 4600's. I didn't think about the brake line, though I thought it was hardline back there? I could be thinking of my 3rd gen maybe.

Old 09-21-2021, 01:21 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

There is a rubber rear brake line that goes from the metal brake line on the frame to the rear axle, which feeds the metal brake lines that go to each rear wheel/drum brake.

Also, might want to double check those rear shocks to determine if they are still good, since you mentioned that the rear springs are pretty worn/weak. Those weak rear springs will give those rear shocks quite a workout...

Last edited by AtomicDog; 09-21-2021 at 01:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
chromed95 (09-21-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 11:19 AM
chromed95
Captain

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
There is a rubber rear brake line that goes from the metal brake line on the frame to the rear axle, which feeds the metal brake lines that go to each rear wheel/drum brake.

Also, might want to double check those rear shocks to determine if they are still good, since you mentioned that the rear springs are pretty worn/weak. Those weak rear springs will give those rear shocks quite a workout...
Is the rubber line supposed to be hard or somewhat flexible when you try to squeeze it? I can check the shocks for sure, just undo the bottom bolt and see if I can compress it?

Old 09-24-2021, 01:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

You aren't going to be able to compress a brake line with your fingers. Consider that they are designed to deal with 1300 PSI or so.....

How are the bushings in the springs??

Quick Reply: rear brake bounce