2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9l Camshaft Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 08:48 PM
BClark_35
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You can pay someone to do a custom tune, but, you are still lookin' at north of 600 bucks. I would just check with Hemifever, or Flyin' Ryan, buy the tuner from them, and get a custom tune. They will tweak things as necessary, but, it think they both require you have the ability to do data logging to 'fine tune' your tune. (and a wideband O2 sensor as well.....) So, taking it somewhere to have it 'dyno-tuned' might end up being the cheaper route.

The other option is to buy the software/hardware, so you can just do your own tuning. HP Tuner software I think is around 550 or so, but, that is licensed to ONE vehicle. Upside is, you can do whatever you want with your tune, change shift points, update it for gears/tires, etc. as often as you like. There is a STEEP learning curve going this route though.

Tuner only needs to be plugged in long enough for it to upload the tune to your PCM. After that, you can leave it at home.
Yea i may make a few calls and get some quotes. Don't need a super outrageous tune. Just something that let's it run strongly without being fussy. I like the idea of a dyno tune. Have them tune it once and be able to leave it alone unless I plan for a bigger build way down the road.

Old 10-16-2021, 11:33 PM
BClark_35
Professional

You can pay someone to do a custom tune, but, you are still lookin' at north of 600 bucks. I would just check with Hemifever, or Flyin' Ryan, buy the tuner from them, and get a custom tune. They will tweak things as necessary, but, it think they both require you have the ability to do data logging to 'fine tune' your tune. (and a wideband O2 sensor as well.....) So, taking it somewhere to have it 'dyno-tuned' might end up being the cheaper route.

The other option is to buy the software/hardware, so you can just do your own tuning. HP Tuner software I think is around 550 or so, but, that is licensed to ONE vehicle. Upside is, you can do whatever you want with your tune, change shift points, update it for gears/tires, etc. as often as you like. There is a STEEP learning curve going this route though.

Tuner only needs to be plugged in long enough for it to upload the tune to your PCM. After that, you can leave it at home.
So I have now also been looking at the 20-744-9 cam. How different is that from the 20-745-9? More computer friendly? Thanks for all the help. Greatly appreciated

Old 10-16-2021, 11:38 PM
BClark_35
Professional

from what I've seen the 20-744-9 has the same lift but less duration. But it's also got 112 lobe separation compared to 114. Not smart enough to know how all that adds up for power and computer friendliness

Old 10-17-2021, 09:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Have a read here. It will give you at least a basic idea of what all the numbers mean.

Old 10-18-2021, 01:44 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

If you don’t have intake, exhaust/ headers, plenum repaired, a cam is really going to do nothing for you, yea you’ll feel some gain but without above items it’s really pointless. Just my .02 cents
and there’s not many options unless you plan on doing valve springs/ valves for the higher lift of cam

Old 10-18-2021, 01:48 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
If you don’t have intake, exhaust/ headers, plenum repaired, a cam is really going to do nothing for you, yea you’ll feel some gain but without above items it’s really pointless. Just my .02 cents
and there’s not many options unless you plan on doing valve springs/ valves for the higher lift of cam
I plan on doing everything you memtioned except swapping the intake. Thats staying the same. Valve springs are definitely getting swapped

Old 10-18-2021, 04:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pay attention to your cam though. Go much bigger than stock, and you will need a tune, possibly just to make it run, if you go too big. 95 and older trucks aren't programmable, so, if your truck falls in that range, stick with a cam that is stock computer friendly, otherwise, save about 5-600 bucks for a tuner, and custom tune.

Old 10-18-2021, 04:56 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Pay attention to your cam though. Go much bigger than stock, and you will need a tune, possibly just to make it run, if you go too big. 95 and older trucks aren't programmable, so, if your truck falls in that range, stick with a cam that is stock computer friendly, otherwise, save about 5-600 bucks for a tuner, and custom tune.
I have found one that doesn't need tuned. Talked to comp and a guy on youtube that is running it without a tune. Jusy got my whole plenum kit in today for only $53. Pays to check ebay sometimes

Old 10-18-2021, 05:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by BClark_35
I have found one that doesn't need tuned. Talked to comp and a guy on youtube that is running it without a tune. Jusy got my whole plenum kit in today for only $53. Pays to check ebay sometimes
Hard to screw up an aluminum plate, and some bolts. No need to pay hughes exorbitant prices for 'em. Use GOOD quality gaskets though. Fel-Pro, at the very least.

Old 10-18-2021, 05:05 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Hard to screw up an aluminum plate, and some bolts. No need to pay hughes exorbitant prices for 'em. Use GOOD quality gaskets though. Fel-Pro, at the very least.
I think it's the kit from hughes. Came with their stickers instructions. Either way I'm definitely gonna buy a felpro gasket. Can't tell which brand it came with but I'm definitely buying one I know js felpro

Quick Reply: 5.9l Camshaft Options