2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9l Camshaft Options

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 12:46 PM
BClark_35
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5.9l Camshaft Options

Well I'm back. Probably the most needy person on this forum. But being new to Ram trucks I've got lots of questions lol.

Anyway this one is about a good Camshaft to use on my 5.9l magnum that I will be building. Here are links to three I am considering. I am not really looking into getting a custom grind. I am not tuning it (for now) and from what I've heard the first two cams can be run without one. While the gains would be less great I just need it to run and be drivable until I do get a tuner. The third cam is kinda unclear on the website as to if it. I emailed hughes about that one. Obviously I know I'd need new springs as well. Just wondering which one would benefit me the most

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-20-745-9/make/dodge

https://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=category&level0=Qi0gU21hbGwgQm xvY2sgRG9kZ2UgTWFnbnVt&level1=Q2Ftc2hhZnQ=&partid= 30212

https://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=category&level0=Qi0gU21hbGwgQm xvY2sgRG9kZ2UgTWFnbnVt&level1=Q2Ftc2hhZnQ=&partid= 30206

Old 09-28-2021, 04:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

The first one really wants tuning. The second one looks pretty tasty. The third one is for a 5.2, and states it MUST be used with a Carb.......

Edit: Also, the links don't really work, had to search by the part number on hughes site.

Old 09-28-2021, 04:55 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The first one really wants tuning. The second one looks pretty tasty. The third one is for a 5.2, and states it MUST be used with a Carb.......

Edit: Also, the links don't really work, had to search by the part number on hughes site.
There is a guy on youtube running that running the first one with no tune and says it runs well but... who really knows. The second I like everything but the fact that it would have a smooth idle. I'm the type that wants people to know I have a cam. And I most have messed up the third one. Idk. Also idk y the links aren't working. I copied and pasted them

Last edited by BClark_35; 09-28-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Some websites just aren't really friendly with external links. I am sure there is some rationale behind it, but, damned if I know what it is.
Lumpy cams tend to be lumpy at idle because they really aren't designed to run down that low.... Tends to move the power band up, and with the kegger manifold, that is really the LAST thing you want. It starts runnin' out of breath around 4500 RPM or so.

I am also of the school that likes things to APPEAR stock, and surprise folks when they discover it is anything but..... .

Old 09-28-2021, 05:10 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Some websites just aren't really friendly with external links. I am sure there is some rationale behind it, but, damned if I know what it is.
Lumpy cams tend to be lumpy at idle because they really aren't designed to run down that low.... Tends to move the power band up, and with the kegger manifold, that is really the LAST thing you want. It starts runnin' out of breath around 4500 RPM or so.

I am also of the school that likes things to APPEAR stock, and surprise folks when they discover it is anything but..... .
So would I be able to run the first one without a tune and it just wouldn't be ideal until I get it tuned? I never really rip it past 4k...the trans scares me going that high🙃

Old 09-28-2021, 05:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think I hit 4K in my old 96 once in 7 years I was driving it.

They have their qualifier at the bottom of the specs.... "May requiring tuning"....... So, it would likely run, but, I can't speak to how well it would run.

Another option might be to just go with some 1.7 Roller Rockers. They are a direct bolt on, and you pick up a bit of power without having to delve inside the engine. If you are rebuilding it anyway though, I would be real tempted to spring for the custom tune to get the most out of whatever cam you decide to run.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:08 PM
BClark_35
Professional

I think I hit 4K in my old 96 once in 7 years I was driving it.

They have their qualifier at the bottom of the specs.... "May requiring tuning"....... So, it would likely run, but, I can't speak to how well it would run.

Another option might be to just go with some 1.7 Roller Rockers. They are a direct bolt on, and you pick up a bit of power without having to delve inside the engine. If you are rebuilding it anyway though, I would be real tempted to spring for the custom tune to get the most out of whatever cam you decide to run.
Yea I'm going through the engine anyway so might as well spice up the cam a bit. I may get the first one from comp and if I need to, get to get a tune. If it can run without a tune good and do the tune a bit later. Roughly how expensive is a tune?

Old 09-28-2021, 06:16 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by BClark_35
Yea I'm going through the engine anyway so might as well spice up the cam a bit. I may get the first one from comp and if I need to, get to get a tune. If it can run without a tune good and do the tune a bit later. Roughly how expensive is a tune?
Biggest cost is the tuner which is about $400 tube cost about $250 with most companies giving you lifetime tunes

Old 09-28-2021, 06:39 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Biggest cost is the tuner which is about $400 tube cost about $250 with most companies giving you lifetime tunes
What if I go somewhere that already has a tuner? Or does it always have to be plugged in?

Old 09-28-2021, 08:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by BClark_35
What if I go somewhere that already has a tuner? Or does it always have to be plugged in?
You can pay someone to do a custom tune, but, you are still lookin' at north of 600 bucks. I would just check with Hemifever, or Flyin' Ryan, buy the tuner from them, and get a custom tune. They will tweak things as necessary, but, it think they both require you have the ability to do data logging to 'fine tune' your tune. (and a wideband O2 sensor as well.....) So, taking it somewhere to have it 'dyno-tuned' might end up being the cheaper route.

The other option is to buy the software/hardware, so you can just do your own tuning. HP Tuner software I think is around 550 or so, but, that is licensed to ONE vehicle. Upside is, you can do whatever you want with your tune, change shift points, update it for gears/tires, etc. as often as you like. There is a STEEP learning curve going this route though.

Tuner only needs to be plugged in long enough for it to upload the tune to your PCM. After that, you can leave it at home.

Quick Reply: 5.9l Camshaft Options