2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 Grinding Noise in Drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2021, 07:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

The bushing has probably been gone for quite some time.

Since you are replacing everything in there, have you considered going to a one-piece axle, and just eliminating the CAD altogether? Rumor has it, you don't take much of a hit on gas mileage there.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:32 AM
DDickey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The bushing has probably been gone for quite some time.

Since you are replacing everything in there, have you considered going to a one-piece axle, and just eliminating the CAD altogether? Rumor has it, you don't take much of a hit on gas mileage there.
Hmmmmmmm...I haven't thought about it, but maybe I should. Do you have any suggested links?

Old 10-25-2021, 07:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check out these guys. Other folks make 'em too. Check pricing, see which one ya like best.

Old 10-25-2021, 08:44 AM
DDickey

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check out these guys. Other folks make 'em too. Check pricing, see which one ya like best.
OK, that looks pretty sweet, a lot less complicated and cheaper too. I'll do some due diligence, but I think I may go this way. The only thing I'd lose not going with the Posi-Lok is the ability to have 2WD Low, which I thought might be nice, but I don't know that I'd ever really use it

Old 10-25-2021, 10:43 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Okay. Well, my vibe is so difficult to locate I probably will never find it. Thanks for explaining.

Old 10-25-2021, 11:28 AM
DDickey

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Okay. Well, my vibe is so difficult to locate I probably will never find it. Thanks for explaining.
Have you checked the right side axle shafts? They're pretty easy to check, just pull the CAD and check for excessive play between the shafts.

Old 10-25-2021, 12:00 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Someday I might. I'll have to read up on what to do as I've never torn that apart. Could be the rear end, could be the xfer case, clutch, trans, ujoints, bearings, balancer, wheels, tires, brakes, etc. etc. etc. Right now I have a Harley torn apart so it'll have to wait. It's done it for years and never gotten worse so it's more annoying than alarming.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:32 PM
Ramman18
Champion

http://4x4wire.com/dodge/tech/solid_axle_cad/

Something I don't understand about the CAD system is why my front driveshaft spins all the time. I can spin it by hand from underneath but it also turns by itself. Why would they say it "stays stationary"?

The left wheel is connected to the axle directly in a similar fashion to a full-time 4wd axle. The right axleshaft consists of two shafts: one engaged to the differential, the other to the right wheel. A sliding sleeve connects the two separate shafts when 4wd is engaged. While in 2wd, the left wheel turns the spider gears and through it, the right inner axleshaft. Since the two right shafts aren't connected, the right wheel is free to turn independently of the left. While the spider gears spin, the ring gear, and thereby the front driveshaft, stay stationary -- allowing for a decreased amount of drag on the driveline.

Old 10-25-2021, 07:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Something I don't understand about the CAD system is why my front driveshaft spins all the time. I can spin it by hand from underneath but it also turns by itself. Why would they say it "stays stationary"?

The left wheel is connected to the axle directly in a similar fashion to a full-time 4wd axle. The right axleshaft consists of two shafts: one engaged to the differential, the other to the right wheel. A sliding sleeve connects the two separate shafts when 4wd is engaged. While in 2wd, the left wheel turns the spider gears and through it, the right inner axleshaft. Since the two right shafts aren't connected, the right wheel is free to turn independently of the left. While the spider gears spin, the ring gear, and thereby the front driveshaft, stay stationary -- allowing for a decreased amount of drag on the driveline.
Theoretically, that's how it *should* work. Maybe when it was new, and everything was tight, it actually DID work that way. However, as things age, wear in, and loosen up, it becomes easier to turn the driveshaft. Sure, it isn't POWERED, but, it may or may not still turn.

Old 10-25-2021, 08:15 PM
DDickey

The left axle is still solidly connected to the differential so either the differential is going to spin or the driveshaft is going to spin, or maybe both will spin. Path of least resistance

Quick Reply: 4x4 Grinding Noise in Drivetrain