2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fixing my $1200, '96 Ram 1500 Laramie SLT; Grinding, scraping noise when driving.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 04:48 AM
B2Swan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing my $1200, '96 Ram 1500 Laramie SLT; Grinding, scraping noise when driving.

I'm going to start today, I'm going to jack up all 4 wheels and run it while the wheels are off the ground, I hope the noise persists.

It started with an impulse buy for a truck with a lot of miles, decent body, rust free/solid frame, but it has issues. The first issue I noticed was the loud noise from seemingly the front/left, I'm hoping it's a wheel bearing, but fear it's a broken diff or transfer case. Previous owner said "it has a problem in the front driver side wheel and a leaking rear/left wheel cylinder", but it has more problems than that, I fear. I first pulled the tire/drum to check the rear/left brakes... one pad was spun 90 degrees, broken spring and retaining pins, shoes were worn to the rivets and the drum was gouged... replaced and the brakes seem good now, but the loud, scary noise in the front is next. I've yet to move the stick from 2 wheel drive into 4wd and see what happens. I suppose I should try it and see what happens? Front drive shaft was removed by previous owner.

Old 10-23-2021, 04:51 AM
B2Swan

Is it possible the brakes were so "out of balance" that the... proportioning valve? Or other brake component is setting off the ABS pump and causing the nasty sound? The rear/left brake cylinder was essentially pushed out until it pretty much was exploded.

Old 10-23-2021, 05:52 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

ABS sound isn't that loud.

Old 10-23-2021, 09:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

How many miles on it?

With the front jacked up, spin the left front wheel by hand. Noise? Feel crunchy? Rough? Wheel bearings can make some rude noises, and they aren't all that bad to change.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:04 AM
B2Swan

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How many miles on it?

With the front jacked up, spin the left front wheel by hand. Noise? Feel crunchy? Rough? Wheel bearings can make some rude noises, and they aren't all that bad to change.
Like 250k miles, but I don't know what the drivetrain actually has, just to odometer. I've spun the front tires by hand, no noise, no play top-to-bottom when shaking the tires. Going to post a video here later today of the truck running with all 4 wheels jacked up, maybe someone can identify the sound. Thanks for the comment : )

Edit: Just realized, I don't have my front drive shaft installed, lol. So likely won't find anything as the front tires won't be driven... I'll see if I can install the front drive shaft, but if I recall correctly, previous owner snapped at least 1 bolt removing the front drive shaft, but I'll have to double check. Will post a video later.

Last edited by B2Swan; 10-23-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:57 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Front axle u joints are pretty common, I usually spin front diff pinion easily back and forth and it will show bad u joint very clearly.

wheel bearing, spin the tire and hold the coil spring. Lots of bad wheel bearings won’t have play, this trick helps greatly finding which is bad. I work in a shop and deal with this all the time and you’ll feel the bad bearing radiate through spring, works on every vehicle with a coil spring

also is the vacuum to 4x4 damaged and it’s partially engaged?

Old 10-24-2021, 08:11 AM
B2Swan

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
Front axle u joints are pretty common, I usually spin front diff pinion easily back and forth and it will show bad u joint very clearly.

wheel bearing, spin the tire and hold the coil spring. Lots of bad wheel bearings won’t have play, this trick helps greatly finding which is bad. I work in a shop and deal with this all the time and you’ll feel the bad bearing radiate through spring, works on every vehicle with a coil spring

I didn't even consider the 4x4 being partially engaged, lol, thank you, that may be it. The sound is not consistent, and it's a loud nasty sound, unlikely a wheel bearing, Here is a video of a Chevy making *almost* the exact same sound at 5:35 (his turned out to be a loose parking brake cable and my parking brake cable is also loose, so I'm hoping it's just that, but it's a scary sound while driving):

Last edited by B2Swan; 10-24-2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:48 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Unfortunately that sounds like mine when transfer case crapped out…anything above 25mph it would grind….

Old 10-24-2021, 11:33 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

X2! Might want to inspect/remove the cad unit and see if that could be causing it. Also did you remove the fill plug on the axle and see if it has gear lube?

Old 10-24-2021, 05:41 PM
B2Swan

Originally Posted by Moparite
X2! Might want to inspect/remove the cad unit and see if that could be causing it. Also did you remove the fill plug on the axle and see if it has gear lube?
I have not checked for gear lube, but will, thank you. I jacked it up, messed with the 4wd shifter, and it grinds going into 4wd (all 4 wheels off the ground and in Neutral), not sure what that means; also, the front/left wheel *does* seem to have some play up/down, so possible wheel bearing is needed too.

Quick Reply: Fixing my $1200, '96 Ram 1500 Laramie SLT; Grinding, scraping noise when driving.