2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slow Acceleration from stop once rpms climb it goes

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 06:03 PM
Potter86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Acceleration from stop once rpms climb it goes

Hey guys, extremely long time lurker!! a lot of posts have helped me fix so many issues with my truck(formerly Grandpas(I grew up in the truck) to cousins/uncle who let it sit for years). So Thank you Guys!!

So had an engine swap done about 6 months ago, everything good up until recently, downstream 02 high voltage. But that's not what this post is about.

When accelerating from stop today it took a lot of rpm to get it up and going. Once going fine, about 40ish (possibly 3rd gear sounds sluggish like I'm trying to go up a hill, been this way for a week or two).

Now during the engine swap a lot was replaced, I can list them out if needed. From what I have read on here and other sites its looking like either clogged cat or governor and something else inside the tranny(never messed with anything in the tranny ever).

1998 ram 1500
5.2l v8 RWD
206,000 miles
Not sure of the transmission though.

Appreciate the help guys!!

Last edited by Potter86; 11-01-2021 at 06:07 PM. Reason: adding milage
Old 11-01-2021, 06:24 PM
Potter86

crankshaft position sensor
camshaft position sensor
front(upstream) o2 sensor
idle speed thing on tranny(cant remember name, thanks to you guys on here showing a pic of the location)
TPS
IAC
New plenum gasket
plugs and wires
cap and rotor
pcv vavle and hose
water pump
oil pump
all new gaskets all over
new exhaust (cat back)
(still have old engine, needs badly rebuilt)

Old 11-01-2021, 06:43 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Potter86
Hey guys, extremely long time lurker!! a lot of posts have helped me fix so many issues with my truck(formerly Grandpas(I grew up in the truck) to cousins/uncle who let it sit for years). So Thank you Guys!!

So had an engine swap done about 6 months ago, everything good up until recently, downstream 02 high voltage. But that's not what this post is about.

When accelerating from stop today it took a lot of rpm to get it up and going. Once going fine, about 40ish (possibly 3rd gear sounds sluggish like I'm trying to go up a hill, been this way for a week or two).

Now during the engine swap a lot was replaced, I can list them out if needed. From what I have read on here and other sites its looking like either clogged cat or governor and something else inside the tranny(never messed with anything in the tranny ever).

1998 ram 1500
5.2l v8 RWD
206,000 miles
Not sure of the transmission though.

Appreciate the help guys!!

When you swapped the engine, did you swap the seal on the front pump? Now, when you say it's sluggish, do you mean the engine speeds up but the truck doesn't feel like moving? Once it shifts properly, does it shift okay afterward? Is the transmission fluid full? The next time it sits for a bit and would be sluggish, try putting it into neutral for a bit. See if it shifts properly then. Your front pump seal may be leaking inside and allowing the fluid to drain out of the torque converter. Once it pumps back up the pump will keep it full but sitting it may drain out. It's possible a new transmission may be in your future.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:52 PM
Potter86

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
When you swapped the engine, did you swap the seal on the front pump? Now, when you say it's sluggish, do you mean the engine speeds up but the truck doesn't feel like moving? Once it shifts properly, does it shift okay afterward? Is the transmission fluid full? The next time it sits for a bit and would be sluggish, try putting it into neutral for a bit. See if it shifts properly then. Your front pump seal may be leaking inside and allowing the fluid to drain out of the torque converter. Once it pumps back up the pump will keep it full but sitting it may drain out. It's possible a new transmission may be in your future.
When you swapped the engine, did you swap the seal on the front pump?
Are you talking about the rear main seal? If so yes, it was replaced.

Now, when you say it's sluggish, do you mean the engine speeds up but the truck doesn't feel like moving?
Truck moves but takes higher rpms to get moving from STOP position.

Once it shifts properly, does it shift okay afterward?
Yes

Is the transmission fluid full?
Yes

At higher speed mainly 40ish(but noticeable at others just not as noticeable ) sounds like its going up hill, only when I'm keeping that speed thought, not accelerating to that speed.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:54 PM
Potter86

BTW stupid is stupid does, never took timing cover off and checked chain and gear....hindsight is 20/20.........

Old 11-02-2021, 07:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Is the check engine lite on? Any codes?

Old 11-02-2021, 07:46 AM
Potter86

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is the check engine lite on? Any codes?
last night no, this morning finally yes, was actually about to post an update on here..lol( besides my 02 high voltage)

P1757

So now time to figure out what transmission I have and find the link to that guy doing the video on the governor pressure sensor and solenoid.

Or better yet time for a rebuild with the miles on it...

Last edited by Potter86; 11-02-2021 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old 11-02-2021, 02:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

You have the 46RE trans. VERY common. Tons of parts available for it as well.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:19 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Have you checked the TV (throttle valve) cable? Mine shifted real bad slamming gears/ sluggish and it was just the cable needed adjustment (and return spring was junk)

Old 11-03-2021, 06:37 PM
Potter86

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
Have you checked the TV (throttle valve) cable? Mine shifted real bad slamming gears/ sluggish and it was just the cable needed adjustment (and return spring was junk)
yeah probably need to replace the spring. I still need to figure out why my cruise control isnt working. I'm gonna get on ebay and buy some new buttons as I'm bkt getting anything lit up. Fuses good though.

Quick Reply: Slow Acceleration from stop once rpms climb it goes