2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

clunk noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 10:25 PM
Mikej34
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunk noise

So ive had this noise for a little while now and its driving me nuts. It doesnt happen when i drive at normal speeds and what not. It only happens if i throw it in reverse or drive and quickly hit the brakes after rolling. It almost sounds like the brake calipers are loose and its slapping in the bolt holes but thats not it. I had my father get in and do those quick short stops while i looked in the front end and i thought maybe it was the radius arms but i dont think it was. But what i did see was the front diff pumpkin rise a small amount but the slip joint in the front drive shaft didnt move and thats kind of where the noise sounds like its coming from. Could this noise be from the seized slip joint?

Old 11-01-2021, 11:20 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like a u joint, or possibly trans mount, I’d take a look into it, could be front axle u joints, front driveshaft u joints, rear driveshaft u joints, trans mount, sway bar bushings/ end links…..clunks can be many things

Old 11-01-2021, 11:27 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Could the sound be coming from the from brakes or driveline? I know the front brake pads have clips and if they fall out the pads will rattle. I would also check the pinion nuts at the differentials.

Old 11-02-2021, 06:15 PM
Mikej34
Amateur

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
Sounds like a u joint, or possibly trans mount, I’d take a look into it, could be front axle u joints, front driveshaft u joints, rear driveshaft u joints, trans mount, sway bar bushings/ end links…..clunks can be many things
I was thinking that too and I narrowed it down. I know my rear u joints are solid, my trans mount id have to check but im not sure how. The front axle u joints i just replaced last year with splicers so those are good. Front driveshaft u joints are all new. I know my sway bar bushings are original so they are probably bad but i know the noise isnt from there its too close to the middle of the truck. The sway bar end links are new so i know its not that. The only thing that could possibly be is the trans mount or the slip joint in the driveshaft but im not sure if i can check that without removing it.

Old 11-02-2021, 06:17 PM
Mikej34
Amateur

Originally Posted by master tech
Could the sound be coming from the from brakes or driveline? I know the front brake pads have clips and if they fall out the pads will rattle. I would also check the pinion nuts at the differentials.
When i was watching the diff, the pinion was solid no play and ive never taken the nut off so im sure its rusted on solid lol. I believe it could be from the driveline. I did just take apart the left break because the sliders were seized of course so i know they arent loose. But i did do the breaks recently so im pretty sure the clips in the right side are still there. i can still check to be sure.

Old 11-02-2021, 09:42 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

It's always a good idea to double check things you have done, as you won't know if there is an issue in that area unless its thoroughly checked.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:14 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Just sway bar bushings alone can make hell of racket….check those with vehicle on ground….if you lift it you put tension on bushing and won’t really show play. Gotta be on ground as it usually sits and then check it

Old 11-02-2021, 11:22 PM
Mikej34
Amateur
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
It's always a good idea to double check things you have done, as you won't know if there is an issue in that area unless its thoroughly checked.
Originally Posted by 95RAM360
Just sway bar bushings alone can make hell of racket….check those with vehicle on ground….if you lift it you put tension on bushing and won’t really show play. Gotta be on ground as it usually sits and then check it
Ill make sure to check everything thoroughly and let you guys know tomorrow what i come across.

Old 11-03-2021, 12:17 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Try greasing the slip joints.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:50 PM
Mikej34
Amateur

So I checked everything today and everything is solid with no play. Its actually crazy how my u joints are still the originals with 250,000 on them. Still going strong. The rubber boots on them are even still good. Not exactly sure what it could be. I dont want to take the rubber cover off the slip joint yet because im at college and dont have any other tools. Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: clunk noise