2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 ram 1500 help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 09:52 AM
Tommygunn318
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 ram 1500 help

Hi I got a 2001 ram 1500 5.2 4x4. I was having a stalling out issue only in reverse but only when it was raining pretty bad, I read some forums and only thing close I could find was the IAC valve so I proceeded to change the valve and while I was in there I went ahead and cleaned the throttle body the best I could, everything seemed to go good on my drive back home truck seemed to run a little better a little better throttle response, now I was driving from my cousin's house that is close to 10 miles from my house I stopped at a store to grab a few things (2miles from home) when I started the truck back up it sounded awful, like there was a aluminum can inside the motor. Could anyone tell me what could have happened.
Another issue that's been ongoing with my truck is I had the transmission replaced less than 1000 miles ago when it shifts into the top gear it sounds like it has a major misfire or a backfire, and the trans feels like it wants to jump through the floorboard, any help on either issue is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Tommygunn318; 11-10-2021 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Forgot details
Old 11-10-2021, 10:18 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Welcome! Holy cow, those are some intense issues.

Did you get the truck home or have to leave it after the "aluminum can" in the engine sound?
Have you checked to see if anything came loose from the throttle body job?

I'm not sure how rain could affect anything unless an exposed wire or fuse is getting wet somehow. The noise could also be related to the trans issue, like a bad torque converter or the dust shield came loose by the flex plate. Check under the truck where the trans meets the engine and see if any bolts are missing or anything's loose.

The following users liked this post:
Tommygunn318 (11-10-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 12:23 PM
Tommygunn318

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Welcome! Holy cow, those are some intense issues.

Did you get the truck home or have to leave it after the "aluminum can" in the engine sound?
Have you checked to see if anything came loose from the throttle body job?

I'm not sure how rain could affect anything unless an exposed wire or fuse is getting wet somehow. The noise could also be related to the trans issue, like a bad torque converter or the dust shield came loose by the flex plate. Check under the truck where the trans meets the engine and see if any bolts are missing or anything's loose.
I think I have figured out the can sound issue I crawled under the truck while it was running trying to pinpoint where the sound was coming from turned the truck back off and found that what looks like torque converter bolts I can turn with my bare fingers but where the flywheel is built into the converter I'm not sure that is accurate but anyways they are loose. Hopefully I can just tighten them up and everything be ok....

Old 11-10-2021, 03:17 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Your flexplate should be bolted to the crank. Then you have the converter bolts.. I highly doubt it’s part of converter

Old 11-10-2021, 06:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Should be four bolts. Them being loose will most certainly make some rude noises.

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (11-11-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 10:02 PM
Tommygunn318

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
Your flexplate should be bolted to the crank. Then you have the converter bolts.. I highly doubt it’s part of converter
Yes what I'm used to for a flywheel or flex plate has teeth that the starter contacts to turn the motor over,, my torque converter has those teeth built into it hence why I said the flywheel is built ( into,, onto) the converter

Old 11-11-2021, 10:59 PM
Justin426

For your reverse slipping in and out, I had the same problem for years tried a bunch of different things. For me finaly going down the highway one day my transmission line quick connect fitting on my transmission blew... well the seal did. It leaked for years and I could never pinpoint the source. Until it blew, those are high psi lines, if you have a leak it will mess with the tranny. I replaced the fitting on the transmission and it has never slipped out of reverse since. It used to be an everyday thing. Until I replaced the fitting. Question does your tranny pan have fluid dripping from it, but it's not the gasket. It can even be a slow drip or a buildup.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:16 AM
Tommygunn318

Originally Posted by Justin426
For your reverse slipping in and out, I had the same problem for years tried a bunch of different things. For me finaly going down the highway one day my transmission line quick connect fitting on my transmission blew... well the seal did. It leaked for years and I could never pinpoint the source. Until it blew, those are high psi lines, if you have a leak it will mess with the tranny. I replaced the fitting on the transmission and it has never slipped out of reverse since. It used to be an everyday thing. Until I replaced the fitting. Question does your tranny pan have fluid dripping from it, but it's not the gasket. It can even be a slow drip or a buildup.

It's actually not slipping out if reverse, it's stalling or dieing in reverse. It sounds like it has a really bad miss on multiple cylinders and starving for fuel. But no the tranny pan is so clean you could eat off of it.🤔

Old 11-12-2021, 12:08 PM
Justin426

Does it do it in drive as well? When you first put it in gear

Old 11-12-2021, 12:21 PM
Tommygunn318

Originally Posted by Justin426
Does it do it in drive as well? When you first put it in gear

Actually no, it has only done it in reverse. All other gears it runs like a top.

Quick Reply: 2001 ram 1500 help