2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1995 5.9 Magnum tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 08:57 PM
joescoaching
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1995 5.9 Magnum tuning

Have a 95 Cali coded Ram 1500 5.9.
pretty sure the passenger side head is cracked a bit. I'd like to throw those Edelbrock performer heads and better cam at it and open up some hp, but my concern is I'm stuck with this ECU and unable to tune it to actually take advantage of the higher flow from the heads. Does anyone know of a workaround with this, or am I stuck to stock with this ECU? The egr has to be connected or the ECU gets really upset and can't relearn the mixture. So I know I'm stuck with the keger intake that has the port, no Hughes airgap for this truck.
Anyone ever been successful in bypassing the egr and "tricking" the ECU into thinking it's there?

I see that summit claims to sell a tuner for a '95?? Anyone tried that? Curious if that'd still work for a Cali coded truck.
Oh, and it has just one o2 sensor. That seem to be a big flag for determining how strict the ECU can be.

Appreciate any advice/info y'all can throw my way!

Old 11-11-2021, 10:07 PM
Justin426
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maby grab a 96 computer, find a buddy with a 2nd gen obd2 with same engine package. Tune your pcu on buddy's truck then install it on yours? Not 100% shure this would work. But always wondered if it would.
I'm in the same boat as you.. kinda I have a 96 ram that had obd 2 but a disaster of a dash.. found an imaculant 95 dash with obd 1. I installed it and lost the convienence of obd 2.

Old 11-12-2021, 07:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

There is no tuner for the 95. At least, not using the stock computer. It isn't flash programmable, and there is no workaround for that.

Upgrading to an OBDII system shouldn't be impossible.... Need the PCM, under-hood wiring harness, and dash harness from a 96, or 97 truck. As the newer trucks didn't have EGR, that opens up your choices on intake manifolds. However..... (and you had to know that was coming....) OBDII trucks used the 46RE transmission. (assuming yours is an automatic.) The 95 is the 46RH.... so, have to change the trans as well. Or, do something different for O/D, and TCC, and use a manual trans tune? Might work.

Old 11-13-2021, 12:40 PM
joescoaching
Amateur

Appreciate the info!
I reached out to B&G Tuning, even though they no longer list OBD1 retuned pcm's on their site, and David replied back saying he's actually finishing up a batch of pcm's that are my vintage and to holler back at him end of next week. So now my question is; I'd have to luck out and just so happen that one of those he retuned is the same serial number as mine, right? Not just any 95 for a 5.9 will do and has to be specifically originally coded for my single o2 sensor setup, yeah?

Old 11-13-2021, 12:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Nope. Part numbers will vary, and so long as it matches whatever emissions you have (federal, or california) it'll work. Cubes, and trans type need to match, and that's about it.

Old 11-13-2021, 12:57 PM
joescoaching
Amateur

Ah, ok. That's a weight off, lol. Again, appreciate your help! Let ya know how it goes.🤞

The following users liked this post:
2bit (11-17-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 12:29 PM
jasmoore3
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The M1 intake has one version with the EGR port. I have one on my truck. Keep your eyes open for one.

Old 11-14-2021, 12:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by jasmoore3
The M1 intake has one version with the EGR port. I have one on my truck. Keep your eyes open for one.
The M1 came in both 2 barrel, and 4 barrel versions, 2 barrel version being a dual-plane manifold, they both also came with, or without EGR. Of course, Mopar stopped producing them some time ago, so, finding one these days is a serious stroke of luck.

Old 11-14-2021, 10:23 PM
joescoaching
Amateur

Yeah, had no idea that was even an option (even if virtually impossible to find) so thanks for the info.

I am curious, will a stand alone, megasquirt, type system, or piggybacking be an option for me to get around the restrictions of obd1 with an egr valve? From what I've read so far it seems I'd need a wideband o2 sensor AND a narrow, but I only have one o2 sensor to begin with.

Old 11-15-2021, 07:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Depends on the system. Some of 'em want the wideband, some don't. Even if you swap to OBDII though, you will likely need the wideband for proper tuning.

Quick Reply: 1995 5.9 Magnum tuning