2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tuners for 1996

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 10:39 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It's one bolt, pull the vss out of the tailhousing, swap the gear, stuff it back in. It needs to be properly indexed though, there are markings on the VSS housing, and an index mark on the tailhousing. I think the markings on the VSS, or actually gear tooth count.
I just watched a you tube video on a jeep one very similar thank you. Now to find the right one

Old 11-24-2021, 10:40 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I went by the chart in the link I provided in my last post. That worked well for me and the truck's speedometer readings matched up with my GPS speed readouts.

Changing the speedometer pinion gear is pretty easy as long as the hold-down bolt comes off easy. I had no issue with the transfer case that's in my truck with removing the bolt. I did soak it with PB Blaster before trying to remove it. The spare transfer case that I picked up in Maryland had the bolt broke off in the transfer case and I'm still trying to remove it. Tried numerous times welding a nut onto the broken bolt and still can't get it out. It seems to be oxidized in-place due to the dissimilar metal issue.

Soaking it in pb blaster is a good idea. It's probably never been out before on mine.

Quick Reply: Tuners for 1996