2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need some help fellas(5.9 V8)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 10:53 AM
BM9NBA2
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check and see if the distributor just didn't move some.
It's at the shop right now where the engine was put together. He's checking compression today

Old 12-20-2021, 01:44 PM
racerxv6
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep us posted buddy !!!!

Old 12-20-2021, 02:46 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional

Originally Posted by racerxv6
Will do

Old 12-22-2021, 02:09 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional

Originally Posted by racerxv6
hey guys so I think I may be in luck. So cap and rotor were bad I guess because spark was low and truck is cranking better now. Would it make sense with all that smoke coming out of the intake with fuel not burning properly because the injectors couldn't function properly considering the spark? We're making the assumption that one of the battery cables is no good primarily the negative as when I replaced the front fenders I had a hard time getting the cable back into its slot at the terminal. It's the primary ground cable I believe can't remember, but yea so the truck still isn't cranking properly. Hoping that it's just the battery cable. Am really trying to avoid driving my 1st gen Cummins in the winter here in Pennsylvania.

Old 12-22-2021, 02:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Spark and injectors are unrelated. The two don't have any influence over each other. They all need to function properly for the engine to run though.

When you say "Not cranking properly." What, exactly, do you mean? Does it seem like the engine is struggling to turn over? Does it fire at all?

Old 12-22-2021, 02:18 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional

Spark and injectors are unrelated. The two don't have any influence over each other. They all need to function properly for the engine to run though.

When you say "Not cranking properly." What, exactly, do you mean? Does it seem like the engine is struggling to turn over? Does it fire at all?
It sounds as if the starter is just dying due to improper voltage, but at the same time from when I last saw the truck voltage was fine on the dash. I tried dropping in the battery thats in my Cummins and it didn't change the cranking whatsoever. Voltage only went up slightly. It wouldn't make sense for the starter to be the culprit though because the truck died while it was running. Couldn't get a compression check because the truck isn't cranking enough. It doesn't fire whatsoever I tried starting fluid and nothing.

Old 12-22-2021, 02:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ah, ok, one problem at a time then. Can you do a starter draw test? Probably the best you are going to be able to do without the proper test equipment, is see what your battery gauge does while cranking..... I would much rather see what the amp draw of the starter was though. (wonder if you could rent the tool from the local parts store? I know they have 'em.....) If voltage drops significantly, or, you see more than a 200 amp draw, that's a bad starter. Otherwise, it is likely a poor ground. Since you already think you have a bad ground, fix that FIRST. See if everything else doesn't improve.

Old 12-22-2021, 02:31 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional

Ah, ok, one problem at a time then. Can you do a starter draw test? Probably the best you are going to be able to do without the proper test equipment, is see what your battery gauge does while cranking..... I would much rather see what the amp draw of the starter was though. (wonder if you could rent the tool from the local parts store? I know they have 'em.....) If voltage drops significantly, or, you see more than a 200 amp draw, that's a bad starter. Otherwise, it is likely a poor ground. Since you already think you have a bad ground, fix that FIRST. See if everything else doesn't improve.
Alright, but yea the voltage goes all the way down to zero after the truck trying to turn over for about 10-15 seconds. Dont know why I didn't think to just take a look at the grounds first I hadn't though about it because I cleaned every single thing when I did the fenders so didn't think they'd be an issue. Cleaned all the grounds on the truck and made sure they were all fastened enough and a new ground strap for the bed ground. The main ground wire was getting pretty thin though at the terminal. Should've just changed it when I did the fenders was in to much of a rush though because I was working on the truck for about 5 months this past summer/fall getting it ready for the winter.

Old 12-22-2021, 02:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's a bad connection somewhere then. Address the known issue, let us know if things change.

Old 12-22-2021, 03:20 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional

That's a bad connection somewhere then. Address the known issue, let us know if things change.
Yep will do also I thought the distributor was suppose to last longer? Was replaced in 2018 about 30k miles ago.

Quick Reply: Need some help fellas(5.9 V8)