2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need some help fellas(5.9 V8)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 08:08 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need some help fellas(5.9 V8)

Alright so the engine has spark and is getting fuel. This past weekend I hadn't drove the truck at all then Monday I go to start it with my remote it fires up so I didn't think anything of it, but I go outside and it isn't running. I pop the hood after trying to turn it over for a couple seconds after it decided to still not start I open the hood and there's smoke coming out of the throttle body/intake and quite a bit. What's the problem? I'm not very good at diagnosing as I've never had this problem with this truck it has always started for me. I did have the engine replaced in June of 2020 because the old engine block it was about to rot all the way through because the truck was neglected before by previous owner along with it being a northern truck. Didn't have any performance issues or anything since the engine swap and oil is nice and clean

Last edited by BM9NBA2; 12-17-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:36 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

I would check the fuel line to make sure you don't have a fuel leak. I would also check the ignition wires and electrical wires at the throttle too.

The following users liked this post:
BM9NBA2 (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 11:42 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional

Originally Posted by master tech
I would check the fuel line to make sure you don't have a fuel leak. I would also check the ignition wires and electrical wires at the throttle too.
Alright yeah done and done not sure about the electrical wires at the throttle so will have to take a look. Fuel is good and I rewired the ignition not long ago because one of the wires was getting ready to corrode off

Old 12-18-2021, 05:43 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I’d say your plenum blew, look down into the intake, see oil? Yea that ain’t supposed to be there….

problem is they used a 1/16 steel plate bolted to an aluminum intake. Metals expand at different temps and the bolts are to long from factory, so it’s inevitable that they all go. There’s repair kits like Hughes which I have and it’s a 1/4 in aluminum plate to replace the junk stock one, and problem solved

Old 12-18-2021, 08:35 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
I’d say your plenum blew, look down into the intake, see oil? Yea that ain’t supposed to be there….

problem is they used a 1/16 steel plate bolted to an aluminum intake. Metals expand at different temps and the bolts are to long from factory, so it’s inevitable that they all go. There’s repair kits like Hughes which I have and it’s a 1/4 in aluminum plate to replace the junk stock one, and problem solved
The smoke smelled like fuel at least I think it did. I tried to stick my boroscope down through the throttle body, but to much smoke was coming out at the time.

Last edited by BM9NBA2; 12-18-2021 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:31 AM
racerxv6
Veteran
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

IMO, I would say this sounds like a timing off issue, the only reason I can think of when you see smoke or something to that effect is when your timing is off. You stated that you remote started it so you where no where near the truck when you attempted that start and would not have heard a back fire correct? Usually after a back fire you see that smoke/mist coming out of the TB or Carb....unburnt fuel....hope this helps. Could have jumped time, but you also stated newly rebuilt in 2020....Just something I would check are distributor, cap, rotor and wires for breakage...

Old 12-20-2021, 10:43 AM
BM9NBA2
Professional

Originally Posted by racerxv6
IMO, I would say this sounds like a timing off issue, the only reason I can think of when you see smoke or something to that effect is when your timing is off. You stated that you remote started it so you where no where near the truck when you attempted that start and would not have heard a back fire correct? Usually after a back fire you see that smoke/mist coming out of the TB or Carb....unburnt fuel....hope this helps. Could have jumped time, but you also stated newly rebuilt in 2020....Just something I would check are distributor, cap, rotor and wires for breakage...
Damn it yeah it must've jumped time I wasn't anywhere near the truck at the time of start considering I let it warm up about 10 minutes using the remote start before I go outside. Distributor, wires, plugs are all relatively new, Intake manifold gaskets, plenum gasket, valve cover gaskets, valve seals, head gaskets, etc where all replaced at the time of the engine swap among many other components. The engine is covered though so that's good.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Check and see if the distributor just didn't move some.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:48 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BM9NBA2
Damn it yeah it must've jumped time I wasn't anywhere near the truck at the time of start considering I let it warm up about 10 minutes using the remote start before I go outside. Distributor, wires, plugs are all relatively new, Intake manifold gaskets, plenum gasket, valve cover gaskets, valve seals, head gaskets, etc where all replaced at the time of the engine swap among many other components. The engine is covered though so that's good.
Was the timing chain and gears in the motor replaced? An old sloppy timing chain and gears are the primary place I've seen that can cause a motor to jump timing.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:49 AM
BM9NBA2
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Was the timing chain and gears in the motor replaced? An old sloppy timing chain and gears are the primary place I've seen that can cause a motor to jump timing.
They weren't replaced, but the engine that went in only had about 80k miles and I've only put about 7,000 miles on it since the replacement

Quick Reply: Need some help fellas(5.9 V8)