2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Death Flash

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 02:44 PM
BClark_35
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Death Flash

So I've done some reading on death flash. My truck is an 00 and came with the 5.9l. Someone swapped in a 5.2l but left the original computer in it for the 5.9l. Bottom line is my truck feels like a turd rn. It definitely burns oil so I'm sure the plenum is blown. I don't care that this engine feels slow. I'm completely rebuilding a 5.9 to swap in. I'm just wondering if there is something outside of my engine that makes it feel slow? What years did death flash come from the factory? I would be devastated if I swapped it the $2k+ engine in and it feels slow still. Can I just a custom tune to remove death flash? Cat has 206k miles but has no codes saying it's clogged. But this engine has been burning oil for a few thousand miles at least. I've only owned it for like 4-5k miles and it's been burning it since I got it.

Old 01-02-2022, 03:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Clogged cat likely won't set codes. PCM only cares about cat efficiency... and a clogged cat can still be fairly efficient. (so far as the PCM is concerned.....)

Since you are rebuilding your motor anyway.... and want to put a tune on it, spend a bit more, put in a better cam, and go with a custom tune. That will both give you more power from the engine, and get rid of the death flash.

Keep in mind, it IS a close to 6000 pound truck, so, don't expect neck-snapping acceleration from it.

Old 01-02-2022, 03:14 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Clogged cat likely won't set codes. PCM only cares about cat efficiency... and a clogged cat can still be fairly efficient. (so far as the PCM is concerned.....)

Since you are rebuilding your motor anyway.... and want to put a tune on it, spend a bit more, put in a better cam, and go with a custom tune. That will both give you more power from the engine, and get rid of the death flash.

Keep in mind, it IS a close to 6000 pound truck, so, don't expect neck-snapping acceleration from it.
I'm gonna start with swapping the motor in and go from there. The cam I'm putting in will run with the factory tune. I'll be happy as long as the engine feels strong. If not, I'll look into a tune.

Old 01-02-2022, 03:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Tuners with canned tunes aren't hideously expensive, Hemifever or Flyin Ryan make the best tunes. The other folks don't tweak 'em nearly as much.

Old 01-02-2022, 03:21 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Tuners with canned tunes aren't hideously expensive, Hemifever or Flyin Ryan make the best tunes. The other folks don't tweak 'em nearly as much.
makes sense. I'd be fine with JUST removing death flash. So if that was cheaper that would be nice. But if I could find a way to have someone custom tune it for the camshaft without me needing to actually buy the tuner that would be ideal. The issue is idk how the tuner with the stock tunes would work with the mild cam I'm putting in. Idk yet. I mean I'm not looking for crazy power since I still have a 46re...

Old 01-02-2022, 03:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by BClark_35
makes sense. I'd be fine with JUST removing death flash. So if that was cheaper that would be nice. But if I could find a way to have someone custom tune it for the camshaft without me needing to actually buy the tuner that would be ideal. The issue is idk how the tuner with the stock tunes would work with the mild cam I'm putting in. Idk yet. I mean I'm not looking for crazy power since I still have a 46re...
The 46RE is a fairly stout trans, and can take a fair bit of power, provided you keep up on the maintenance.

Anyone in your area do dyno tunes? That would be the best tune to get, unless you wanted to do it yourself? I think the stuff to do your own runs around 600 or so, for ONE vehicle, (and you already have a laptop.)

Old 01-02-2022, 03:51 PM
BClark_35
Professional

The 46RE is a fairly stout trans, and can take a fair bit of power, provided you keep up on the maintenance.

Anyone in your area do dyno tunes? That would be the best tune to get, unless you wanted to do it yourself? I think the stuff to do your own runs around 600 or so, for ONE vehicle, (and you already have a laptop.)
Yea the trans feels fine right now. Leaks a bit but seems to shift fine. Need to do a filter change and maybe have a shop adjust the bands. Kinda scared to screw that up.

I might look into dyno tuning. Or the sct tuner. That looks like it's $400. If I get that tuner, am I able to have someone load custom tunes onto that as well? That way I could chose a tune to use. I might start with the tuner to get rid of death flash. See what that feels like. And then if I decide I want more power maybe find someone to load custom tunes onto the sct tuner.

Old 01-02-2022, 04:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by BClark_35
Yea the trans feels fine right now. Leaks a bit but seems to shift fine. Need to do a filter change and maybe have a shop adjust the bands. Kinda scared to screw that up.

I might look into dyno tuning. Or the sct tuner. That looks like it's $400. If I get that tuner, am I able to have someone load custom tunes onto that as well? That way I could chose a tune to use. I might start with the tuner to get rid of death flash. See what that feels like. And then if I decide I want more power maybe find someone to load custom tunes onto the sct tuner.
Buy from Hemifever, or Ryan, and you get three canned tunes with the tuner, one is a bit better than stock, the others, I think, require premium fuel. Just getting rid of the death flash makes a noticeable difference.

Old 01-02-2022, 04:40 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Buy from Hemifever, or Ryan, and you get three canned tunes with the tuner, one is a bit better than stock, the others, I think, require premium fuel. Just getting rid of the death flash makes a noticeable difference.
Thats probably what my plan will be. I emailed hemifever to see what he says about getting a tune for the cam.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:30 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Last question. How would I go about replacing the cat? I don't see any that appear to be a clamp on that will fit in that space. My Jeep had one I could just cut out snd clamp a new one in. It was nice

Quick Reply: Death Flash