2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 1500 5.9l auto brake pedal stuck down

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 07:10 PM
Sinexay
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 1500 5.9l auto brake pedal stuck down

I have a 98 1500 5.9l auto with issue with the brakes. The pedal is stuck to the floor can’t press on it it’s stiff. And the brake and abs light are lit up on the dash. Anyone ever have or fix this issue?

Old 01-12-2022, 07:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Can you grab the pedal and pull it up by hand?

I suspect you blew out a brake line.... or maybe a failed master cylinder.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:18 PM
Sinexay
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou

negative, cannot pull it up by hand or press down on it any further

Old 01-13-2022, 12:28 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Might be something going on weird with the brake booster/master cylinder. Try pulling the vacuum line off the brake booster under the hood and see if you get any change to the pedal status. If not, might need to pull the master cylinder/brake booster to see what's going on.

Old 01-13-2022, 02:43 AM
Sinexay
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou

I’ll look over the brake lines tomorrow and see if there is any noticeable physical damage.

Old 01-13-2022, 09:52 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinexay
I’ll look over the brake lines tomorrow and see if there is any noticeable physical damage.
I doubt a brake line is gonna cause your pedal to get physically stuck down. I'm also voting something in the mc or booster....would almost have to be booster as the booster push rod and mc plunger aren't physically attached to one another.

Kinda weird failure, let us know what you find!

Old 01-13-2022, 11:25 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

I have a 98 1500 5.9l auto with issue with the brakes. The pedal is stuck to the floor can’t press on it it’s stiff. And the brake and abs light are lit up on the dash. Anyone ever have or fix this issue?

I've worked on brakes for over 50 years and I don't think I've ever seen that. I'll have to look at my '96 to see how everything is hooked together, but I would suspect an issue with the booster. Although, it could be the master cylinder, I believe the rod to the pedal comes off the booster. Since you have to pull the master cylinder first anyway, I'd remove it then try the pedal. If it's still stuck down, it's definitely your booster.

Old 01-13-2022, 02:14 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts
Lightbulb

Given the age of these trucks, its always a good idea to consider replacing the metal brake lines, especially the one that runs along the frame going to the rear brakes. That line commonly rusts and ends up leaking at the worst possible times.

With your current brake pedal issue, are you very low on fluid in the brake master cylinder? If so, you definitely should have a brake fluid leak somewhere.

I'm still thinking that its brake booster/master cylinder failure given what you've told us so far.

Please let us know what you find....

Last edited by AtomicDog; 01-13-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:00 PM
Sinexay
Amateur

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Given the age of these trucks, its always a good idea to consider replacing the metal brake lines, especially the one that runs along the frame going to the rear brakes. That line commonly rusts and ends up leaking at the worst possible times.

With your current brake pedal issue, are you very low on fluid in the brake master cylinder? If so, you definitely should have a brake fluid leak somewhere.

I'm still thinking that its brake booster/master cylinder failure given what you've told us so far.

Please let us know what you find....
Negative, fluid is not low.

Quick Reply: 98 1500 5.9l auto brake pedal stuck down