2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Another 46re crap show thread....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 09:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

It is easier to adjust the TV cable if you have two people.... One to hold the lever at the trans in place, while you adjust the cable to zero slack at the throttle body. (or, use something to hold the lever on the trans in place..... bungy cord?)

The intermittent shift could be the TV cable, or, it may be the electronics.... It's also possible its a mechanical issue. I suppose the trick would be to check pressures while the problem is presenting itself, but, then you need the gauges, etc. Not sure if it would misbehave in a no-load situation. (like, running with the tires off the ground.)

You will have to check out the output shaft, and see if it has the provisions for the VSS drive gear.

Old 02-24-2022, 09:35 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by rydog106
Also separate question. I picked up an 01 Ram 1500 NP231D transfer case. I knew that it wouldn't have the sensor port so I will have to get that part of the case and sensor but do I also need a new output shaft or are they still the same shaft? The one I picked up is the 32 spline output
The shift pattern is different also but I knew that going into it. It is 4H 2H N 4L vs what mine is currently 4L N 2H 4H
I just went thru an old vs new NP241 (you can read my thread about NP241DLD carnage if you have no life) and the mainshaft of the older version (with speedo drive gear) had different grooves in different spots. I didn't check OAL or diameters or spline counts

Old 02-24-2022, 09:41 AM
rydog106
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It is easier to adjust the TV cable if you have two people.... One to hold the lever at the trans in place, while you adjust the cable to zero slack at the throttle body. (or, use something to hold the lever on the trans in place..... bungy cord?)

The intermittent shift could be the TV cable, or, it may be the electronics.... It's also possible its a mechanical issue. I suppose the trick would be to check pressures while the problem is presenting itself, but, then you need the gauges, etc. Not sure if it would misbehave in a no-load situation. (like, running with the tires off the ground.)

You will have to check out the output shaft, and see if it has the provisions for the VSS drive gear.
What gauge would I need to check pressures? I'm guessing just a pressure gauge that hooks into a port on the transmission? When I drive it, it mainly only ever happens if I am accelerating from a stop and getting to speed fairly quickly. So under load. If I am "grandpa" driving the truck it will 97% of the time shift just fine into 3rd. I guess that makes sense having the 2 people works best. I just trusted the return spring to have it all the way back.

Here is a picture of the output shaft on the one I picked up. What is the provision supposed to be? Reason I bought another T case is to have just in case mine decided to bite the dust which wouldn't surprise me at all. When I bought it the fluid was completely empty and probably had been for a while. I have to put probably a 1/2 QT a week of ATF in it, it leaks that badly. I have a rebuild kit just haven't gotten to it yet. I just like to have spare parts

Old 02-24-2022, 09:57 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

What gauge would I need to check pressures? I'm guessing just a pressure gauge that hooks into a port on the transmission? When I drive it, it mainly only ever happens if I am accelerating from a stop and getting to speed fairly quickly. So under load. If I am "grandpa" driving the truck it will 97% of the time shift just fine into 3rd. I guess that makes sense having the 2 people works best. I just trusted the return spring to have it all the way back.

Here is a picture of the output shaft on the one I picked up. What is the provision supposed to be? Reason I bought another T case is to have just in case mine decided to bite the dust which wouldn't surprise me at all. When I bought it the fluid was completely empty and probably had been for a while. I have to put probably a 1/2 QT a week of ATF in it, it leaks that badly. I have a rebuild kit just haven't gotten to it yet. I just like to have spare parts

I've got the Snappy EEPV508, although I've never tried to tie into a 46re so not much help there.

You'd be fine with HF, and it's a wee bit more affordable at $42:
https://www.harborfreight.com/engine...BoCgN8QAvD_BwE

I can try to snap pics later today of t-case outputs

Old 02-24-2022, 11:52 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

Since you're in a rust prone area, you might want to check your TV cable closely in relation to your shifting issue. After I had my transmission rebuilt and re-installed, I had intermittent issues with the transmission not shifting properly. I found that my TV cable would not operate smoothly and would sometimes seem to bind up (likely due to rust/age). I ended up replacing the TV cable with a new one and that cured my shifting issues.

The following users liked this post:
rydog106 (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 12:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

I *think* it slides on to the first set of splines there.... I think.....

Old 02-24-2022, 01:21 PM
rydog106

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I *think* it slides on to the first set of splines there.... I think.....
What is "it". I have been trying to find parts diagrams and shafts from a 94-97 vs 98-01 and I can not find a difference. I cant find any special gear that sits in there so I might end up taking the tail shaft off the one thats currently in the truck to see whats going on in there. I would like to make this one just be able to drop in if I need to use it vs having to figure that out when the truck is down. Thank you for all the help though. It has been very helpful

Old 02-24-2022, 01:30 PM
rydog106

What is "it". I have been trying to find parts diagrams and shafts from a 94-97 vs 98-01 and I can not find a difference. I cant find any special gear that sits in there so I might end up taking the tail shaft off the one thats currently in the truck to see whats going on in there. I would like to make this one just be able to drop in if I need to use it vs having to figure that out when the truck is down. Thank you for all the help though. It has been very helpful
Upon further finding diagrams I have found this
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...agram=00i30806
And
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...FT%20BOX%204WD)
And
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16348255916...oAAOSwvEhcOR4i

Last edited by rydog106; 02-24-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:33 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

Do you have a speedometer sender on the rear housing of your transfer case (held in by a bolt and a half moon meta retainer) where an electrical plug goes into it? The "thing" (#33 in the diagram) being discussed may be the drive for the speedometer pinion shaft that's in the speedometer sender. I believe the speedometer sending unit was done away with in 1998.

Old 02-24-2022, 01:41 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

'97 and older NP241DLD. Note the additional grooves machined in. I honestly don't know how important they all are or what they all do. I was sticking with '98+ so didn't watch this too closely

Quick Reply: Another 46re crap show thread....