2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi swap because cool

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 07:55 AM
CheeseWheel
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
I have had no issues what so ever with mine(46RE), Bought it with 60K it now has 230K. I'm not apposed to the hemi swap but if you are going to do one might want to address some of the issues they had before dropping it in. Tear down go over the heads and decide if you are going to keep the MDS or not. You will need a re flash if you get rid of it. Transfer cases are different(front out put shaft is on the opposite side i believe) and the hemis don't have a solid axle up front so you will have to figure that out. Wiring harness alone is like a grand unless you are good with wiring/electronics then you could incorporate the two. If you are in school how are you going to pay for this and if you can't figure out a 46RE issue this swap may be more of one. Just a thought.
In regards to having non stop 46re problems, I’m thinking my computer and or wiring in the truck is bad, so I’d have to tear into the truck anyways. I’m not planning on using the E-TCase, I’m pretty good with wiring and my dad has a background career in advanced electronics. I am in school but I have a pretty good paying job, I make more in 2 days than lots of people I know who work full time. I’m aware of the IFS on the 4th gen and I have a driveshaft shop nearby that I can have driveshafts made for a mechanical driver side drop T Case. Already planning on building out the top end of the Hemi and gonna get rid of MDS but keeping VCT and the cam phaser. I’ve done quite a bit of research and I’m kind of past figuring out the motor and trans swap issues, and more into figuring out how I’m gonna make the creature comforts work. Also planning on going through Copart to buy a full 4th gen, it’s essentially going to be a 2nd gen from the body out, so 2nd gen body, Frame, and axles, but 4th gen from the rails and body in.

Old 03-23-2022, 10:26 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

I think it's a cool project. I'd heavily research Jeep swaps as guys were putting these in JK's forever and now starting to put them in JL's. You'll (obviously) need to focus more on the DIY guys than those who take it to a shop and pay for a full kit --- I think maybe Dakota Digital was selling something to make it more plug 'n play? I don't know....never followed it much....an LS swap makes sooooo much more sense to me as they're compact, well-supported and stupid easy to work on.

I'd suggest: get engine and transmission in and get it running. I'd do this BONE STOCK first. Don't add performance mods beforehand because it could muddy the waters for troubleshooting purposes.

Also you'll obviously need a VSS of some kind but I wouldn't worry about WSS's until later. Traction control will need 4 WSS's and fitting that to the 9.25 would be ...... challenging..... I'd think.

I would think the stock NP231 would hold up fine to a Hemi, although I believe the Hemis did get an electric shift 241 variant

Keep us posted, these projects take real dedication and commitment. Easy to get started with enthusiasm then run out of time, money and motivation as life comes at you with other challenges

Old 03-23-2022, 11:50 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by CheeseWheel
I saw one guy that sort of finished an interior swap but it had no seats in the video and no AC, I saw another guy do a Chrysler 300 seat set and full 4th gen dash swap with AC, his came out pretty good and he got everything in but seat belts until he stopped uploading. I’m not too worried about the ABS and traction control, just want to get rid of dash lights when the time comes, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out, I usually do. Have you done a hemi swap in a 4x4? Is the mount situation the same as the 2wd where you have to notch it out a bit, or is there a better solution like using the Holley Dakota swap mounts?
I used factory Hemi mounts and it fit. Same with the G56 mount. Biggest hurdle is wiring. You either buy a kit ($$$) or do it yourself.

Old 03-23-2022, 01:08 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Originally Posted by Keith_L
I think it's a cool project. I'd heavily research Jeep swaps as guys were putting these in JK's forever and now starting to put them in JL's. You'll (obviously) need to focus more on the DIY guys than those who take it to a shop and pay for a full kit --- I think maybe Dakota Digital was selling something to make it more plug 'n play? I don't know....never followed it much....an LS swap makes sooooo much more sense to me as they're compact, well-supported and stupid easy to work on.

I'd suggest: get engine and transmission in and get it running. I'd do this BONE STOCK first. Don't add performance mods beforehand because it could muddy the waters for troubleshooting purposes.

Also you'll obviously need a VSS of some kind but I wouldn't worry about WSS's until later. Traction control will need 4 WSS's and fitting that to the 9.25 would be ...... challenging..... I'd think.

I would think the stock NP231 would hold up fine to a Hemi, although I believe the Hemis did get an electric shift 241 variant

Keep us posted, these projects take real dedication and commitment. Easy to get started with enthusiasm then run out of time, money and motivation as life comes at you with other challenges
For TCS i looked at the sensors for the truck and they actually look pretty similar to the 2nd gen ones, so I could probably 3D print a new mount for it because it seems smaller than the 2nd gen sensors. I am planning to use my 231 in it because I really like the gearing and hate e shift cases Because I so often see problems with the shifting so my whole 4x4 system is currently manual with a cable pull hub lock too. I’m going to upgrade the motor once it’s in and been started and driven a bit because I wanna iron out kinks. I’m pretty determined with this truck. I kept trying to keep the 46re working but it was every week I’d fix it and it would break and I’m just don’t wasting money on fluid and parts that don’t solve my problem. This has been the plan since purchase is making it hemi powered and documenting the whole thing.

Old 03-23-2022, 01:17 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I used factory Hemi mounts and it fit. Same with the G56 mount. Biggest hurdle is wiring. You either buy a kit ($$$) or do it yourself.
because I plan to use all the 4th gen dash components and equipment I think this won’t be a big deal

Old 03-23-2022, 02:06 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

because I plan to use all the 4th gen dash components and equipment I think this won’t be a big deal
It will be a bigger deal since you will be modding everything. Easiest dash is 2009-12 13 and up have a lot more complicated wiring

Old 03-23-2022, 02:30 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional

It will be a bigger deal since you will be modding everything. Easiest dash is 2009-12 13 and up have a lot more complicated wiring
yeah, I assumed it would be more complex with the 13+ dash but I really want the high detail gauge cluster and all of the extra amenities that come with that system

Old 03-23-2022, 05:36 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

yeah, I assumed it would be more complex with the 13+ dash but I really want the high detail gauge cluster and all of the extra amenities that come with that system
Anything is possible is just how much time you want to put into it. I personally don't like the dash in a second gen nectar it takes up more leg room.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:43 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Anything is possible is just how much time you want to put into it. I personally don't like the dash in a second gen nectar it takes up more leg room.
nectar? But yeah I hate mine, it is completely destroyed inside and out, the plastic core is destroyed and doesn’t hold anything anymore, the dash top was garbage and wasn’t hooked to anything, and the bezel is all afloat and rattles when going through forest trails

Old 03-23-2022, 11:02 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

After reading through I see it’s the transmission that gives you issue. Swap an nv4500 into it and then you can beef the engine.

I work in a garage and I don’t trust hemis…..seen many break valves, wipe cams, bend pushrods, and I just had a 2017 with 101k I had to do head gaskets on. My 46re has 165,000 trouble free miles and it’s because I take care of it, there’s much to know about the 46re, it’s a stubborn tranny

my 95 had 245k when I traded it, I took on water and beat the hell out of it off roading, still never had an issue

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (03-23-2022)

Quick Reply: Hemi swap because cool