2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi swap because cool

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 10:45 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hemi swap because cool

So after working my *** off trying to fix this stupid 46re and sinking $300 worth of extra parts into it, I’ve decided I just wanna do a hemi swap, because if the trucks gonna be unreliable, it should be unreliable and modern. Anyways, the plan right now is buying a 2013-2017 ram 1500 4x4 at auction and doing a full everything swap, engine, trans, interior, and most importantly to me, traction control/ABS. My question now is will the stock rear wheel speed sensor work with a modern system or is there some change in the way they function, also how did the front one mount? My truck doesn’t have 4WABS so I don’t have the sensor. Or better yet, can I use the 4th gen sensors in the slots on the 2nd gen axles, I’d like to keep the Chrysler 9.25 and Dana 44, very impressed with the gears and tough build of both of them. Thanks in advance, by the way I do plan on documenting the whole endeavor once I get my hands on a donor truck!

Old 03-22-2022, 11:35 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

First real question what’s your budget…..this is not just a bolt in swap…..

Old 03-22-2022, 11:37 PM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
First real question what’s your budget…..this is not just a bolt in swap…..
my budget is whatever it ends up costing and however long it takes, I know it’s gonna be costly, but I’m not doing this swap because it’s cheap, I’m doing it because Hemis have more aftermarket support and are more efficient, as well as having all the modern amenities of a 2010’s truck

Old 03-23-2022, 12:23 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Amenities like breaking manifold bolts, exhaust leaks, bad lifters, bad cams, meager mileage improvement, having to run 89 or higher, and MDS issues? Sure, have fun.

My brother has a Rebel and it gets the same mileage my truck does. And he's already been stranded with it. I never have in 21 years. But it's your money.

The interiors are newer but smaller. I am cramped in a 4th gen and my knees hit the dash (5'9"). The seats are very uncomfortable to me. Plus you'd have to swap the center computer screen since that runs everything inside.

You also will need to upgrade the diffs and t-case putting down 400hp. And driveshaft, ujoints, brakes, etc etc.

Why not just buy a decent used 4th gen and enjoy everything as it was designed? You can buy a very well built Magnum and upgrade the trans for about the cost of the Hemi engine alone. You must have no job and a ton of money to burn.

But if you do it, you need to post pics so we can all watch your work. Everyone talks a hemi swap, few have ever done it. Like I said, have fun.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:31 AM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Amenities like breaking manifold bolts, exhaust leaks, bad lifters, bad cams, meager mileage improvement, having to run 89 or higher, and MDS issues? Sure, have fun.

My brother has a Rebel and it gets the same mileage my truck does. And he's already been stranded with it. I never have in 21 years. But it's your money.

The interiors are newer but smaller. I am cramped in a 4th gen and my knees hit the dash (5'9"). The seats are very uncomfortable to me. Plus you'd have to swap the center computer screen since that runs everything inside.

You also will need to upgrade the diffs and t-case putting down 400hp. And driveshaft, ujoints, brakes, etc etc.

Why not just buy a decent used 4th gen and enjoy everything as it was designed? You can buy a very well built Magnum and upgrade the trans for about the cost of the Hemi engine alone. You must have no job and a ton of money to burn.

But if you do it, you need to post pics so we can all watch your work. Everyone talks a hemi swap, few have ever done it. Like I said, have fun.
in the less than 1 year I have had my 2nd gen, its had Two transmissions, left me stranded 3 times, received $400 in trans upgrade parts and still keeps having problems. Motor is fantastic though, just wish it had more support. Fuel mileage isn’t my main focus but what is a bigger focus is E85, which I can’t find injectors for the magnum that allow it. Furthermore, I’m 6’4 and crammed in everything but my dads super duty, but he’s had as many problems with that as I’ve had with my 2nd gen. The swap isn’t for savings, or ease, or simplicity, my soul purpose is to learn from the experience and have a fun truck that I can be proud of.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:44 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by CheeseWheel
in the less than 1 year I have had my 2nd gen, its had Two transmissions, left me stranded 3 times, received $400 in trans upgrade parts and still keeps having problems. Motor is fantastic though, just wish it had more support. Fuel mileage isn’t my main focus but what is a bigger focus is E85, which I can’t find injectors for the magnum that allow it. Furthermore, I’m 6’4 and crammed in everything but my dads super duty, but he’s had as many problems with that as I’ve had with my 2nd gen. The swap isn’t for savings, or ease, or simplicity, my soul purpose is to learn from the experience and have a fun truck that I can be proud of.
You don't need injectors to run E85 you just need a alcohol sensor. They make kits for our trucks. I have done a few Hemi swaps just because nobody has. No you can't use the 4th gen ABS sensors or your rear abs sensor. To get front abs you will need a tone ring on the axle shafts and the abs hole in your knuckle. Interior swap is work and has been "done" but never competed that I have seen.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:48 AM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
You don't need injectors to run E85 you just need a alcohol sensor. They make kits for our trucks. I have done a few Hemi swaps just because nobody has. No you can't use the 4th gen ABS sensors or your rear abs sensor. To get front abs you will need a tone ring on the axle shafts and the abs hole in your knuckle. Interior swap is work and has been "done" but never competed that I have seen.
I saw one guy that sort of finished an interior swap but it had no seats in the video and no AC, I saw another guy do a Chrysler 300 seat set and full 4th gen dash swap with AC, his came out pretty good and he got everything in but seat belts until he stopped uploading. I’m not too worried about the ABS and traction control, just want to get rid of dash lights when the time comes, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out, I usually do. Have you done a hemi swap in a 4x4? Is the mount situation the same as the 2wd where you have to notch it out a bit, or is there a better solution like using the Holley Dakota swap mounts?

Old 03-23-2022, 01:55 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CheeseWheel
Sounds like your biggest issue with the 2nd gen has been with the 46RE transmissions. I must admit that they have their issues, however, expending $400 worth of upgrade parts likely won't properly make your transmission stout and reliable. Given the age of these transmissions, a good complete rebuild by someone that knows these transmissions is the way to go to obtain a reliable 46RE transmission. Transmission parts have gone up in price like everything else due to inflation. I wish you luck with your hemi swap, however, I suspect it will be much, much more expensive than properly fixing your 2nd gen truck with the parts that came with it..

Old 03-23-2022, 02:13 AM
CheeseWheel
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Sounds like your biggest issue with the 2nd gen has been with the 46RE transmissions. I must admit that they have their issues, however, expending $400 worth of upgrade parts likely won't properly make your transmission stout and reliable. Given the age of these transmissions, a good complete rebuild by someone that knows these transmissions is the way to go to obtain a reliable 46RE transmission. Transmission parts have gone up in price like everything else due to inflation. I wish you luck with your hemi swap, however, I suspect it will be much, much more expensive than properly fixing your 2nd gen truck with the parts that came with it..
cost isn’t my concern with it, I didn’t like the 46re much even when it did work, because it’s old, the shifts always feel harsh, and the shift behavior is very annoying because Of the hilly area I live in
im mostly just kind of tired of the trans working for a week then being down for a month while I figure out why it isn’t working again, literally in the span of a week went from acting like it was in neutral and popping out of gear, fixing it, having it throw a bunch of pressure codes and fix them, to me leaving for school this morning and it popping out of gear every 100ft.

Last edited by CheeseWheel; 03-23-2022 at 02:22 AM.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:07 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

I have had no issues what so ever with mine(46RE), Bought it with 60K it now has 230K. I'm not apposed to the hemi swap but if you are going to do one might want to address some of the issues they had before dropping it in. Tear down go over the heads and decide if you are going to keep the MDS or not. You will need a re flash if you get rid of it. Transfer cases are different(front out put shaft is on the opposite side i believe) and the hemis don't have a solid axle up front so you will have to figure that out. Wiring harness alone is like a grand unless you are good with wiring/electronics then you could incorporate the two. If you are in school how are you going to pay for this and if you can't figure out a 46RE issue this swap may be more of one. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Hemi swap because cool