2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dana 44 axel seal question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 07:02 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith_L
You just slide it out, but I'd at least consider you may have rollers fall out when you do (as I did). Or it may be perfectly fine. Or you may have a bushing.
That's the shaft to the left of the cad unit if your looking at the axle housing from the back right? In that video the guy removed the passenger axle then the CAD assembly then there was a gear cog piece in between . He removed that then proceeded to installing the seal

Old 03-25-2022, 07:08 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 96albertaram
That's the shaft to the left of the cad unit if your looking at the axle housing from the back right? In that video the guy removed the passenger axle then the CAD assembly then there was a gear cog piece in between . He removed that then proceeded to installing the seal
I stand corrected and it's been a long time since I watched that vid. If there's room for the TK installer and a nut, then you're good.

Although personally, I'd want to know the condition of whatever supports the intermediate shaft. If it's a bearing, rollers should NOT be able to fall out. If it's a bushing, it's probably perfectly fine.

Others feel ignorance is bliss. That's ok, too. Whatever lets you sleep at night.....

Old 03-25-2022, 09:46 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

When I did the passenger side seal replacement, I did not have to remove the intermediate shaft to perform the seal replacement with the puck style installer. You do have to go in through the CAD cover and remove the fork/cover assembly and the axle locking collar, in addition to the axle itself. I did end up removing the intermediate shaft to check the bushing/bearing, and the bushing was fine.

Old 03-27-2022, 11:17 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
When I did the passenger side seal replacement, I did not have to remove the intermediate shaft to perform the seal replacement with the puck style installer. You do have to go in through the CAD cover and remove the fork/cover assembly and the axle locking collar, in addition to the axle itself. I did end up removing the intermediate shaft to check the bushing/bearing, and the bushing was fine.

Exactly what I was wondering thank you ! Also when you install the new seal. Do you put any permatex or grease around outside diameter before installing ? Or just install dry ? Also is the intermediate shaft short can you just pull it out through the passenger housing side?

Old 03-28-2022, 12:16 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Lightbulb

Exactly what I was wondering thank you ! Also when you install the new seal. Do you put any permatex or grease around outside diameter before installing ? Or just install dry ? Also is the intermediate shaft short can you just pull it out through the passenger housing side?
Just FYI, my front differential is a Dana 60, however, the Dana 44 process is the same. I installed the seal dry into the bore, but I did lubricate the rubber part of the seal prior to the install. As for the intermediate shaft, it will come out of the passenger side of the housing without issue.

Old 03-31-2022, 12:02 AM
96albertaram
Veteran

Just FYI, my front differential is a Dana 60, however, the Dana 44 process is the same. I installed the seal dry into the bore, but I did lubricate the rubber part of the seal prior to the install. As for the intermediate shaft, it will come out of the passenger side of the housing without issue.
Gotcha. Also does the bearing or bushing pull out with the Intermediate shaft ? Which was the culprit? Do these dana 44 only have 2 seals or is there 3?

Old 03-31-2022, 12:13 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Gotcha. Also does the bearing or bushing pull out with the Intermediate shaft ? Which was the culprit? Do these dana 44 only have 2 seals or is there 3?
Press fit and 2

Old 03-31-2022, 12:32 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Keith_L
Press fit and 2
As Keith mentioned, there are two seals in the differential, one for each side/axle.

Old 03-31-2022, 05:01 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

As Keith mentioned, there are two seals in the differential, one for each side/axle.
Ok good to know. There just the one near the pumpkin for the drivers side then. Is there anything else that can cause you to leak gear oil from the end of axle housing? 2 weeks ago I got the truck stuck in deep snow pretty bad. Was working it pretty hard back and forth. Next day when it was parked I noticed oil dripping on my tire. Who knows maybe was doing it before. Checked the level and it's still pretty full. So I dunno if I should wait it out or break everything open.

Old 03-31-2022, 05:32 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Ok good to know. There just the one near the pumpkin for the drivers side then. Is there anything else that can cause you to leak gear oil from the end of axle housing? 2 weeks ago I got the truck stuck in deep snow pretty bad. Was working it pretty hard back and forth. Next day when it was parked I noticed oil dripping on my tire. Who knows maybe was doing it before. Checked the level and it's still pretty full. So I dunno if I should wait it out or break everything open.
It's entirely up to your time, budget and tolerance for such problems.

Even when these seals go they tend to leak slowly. Much of this is because 1) gear oil is quite thick and 2) the fill level tends to be near the bottom of the seals. Once you lose a little, the fill level can drop to a point where it's unlikely to leak unless you're parked on a slope side-to-side.

I suspect most people limp these leaks along for awhile because they're not mission critical and they're a minor PITA to fix.

Furthermore you're not dealing with a rear axle where your wheel bearings rely on gear oil for lubrication.

Quick Reply: Dana 44 axel seal question