2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dana 44 axel seal question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 05:37 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith_L
It's entirely up to your time, budget and tolerance for such problems.

Even when these seals go they tend to leak slowly. Much of this is because 1) gear oil is quite thick and 2) the fill level tends to be near the bottom of the seals. Once you lose a little, the fill level can drop to a point where it's unlikely to leak unless you're parked on a slope side-to-side.

I suspect most people limp these leaks along for awhile because they're not mission critical and they're a minor PITA to fix.

Furthermore you're not dealing with a rear axle where your wheel bearings rely on gear oil for lubrication.

Thank you sir. I think I'm going to just monitor it and watch my fluid level for now. Truck is not a daily driver. Prob gets used 20-30 times a year. Does that Lucas gear oil help with the leaks a little bit ? I know it's super thick. I understand it won't fix a leak if there a damaged seal but maybe slow down any leaking processes ?

Old 03-31-2022, 05:51 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

I dunno about Lucas. If you really care, drain it and fill with 85W-140 dino. It won't hurt anything. Order a Lube Locker gasket and it'll give you an excuse to drop the cover but still be stupid easy to re-do later.

OR, you can suck out most of the existing lube and you can even siphon it if you let it sit for a couple days.

Of course all this is based on the ASSumption there's something akin to 80W-90 in there now....

Old 03-31-2022, 06:10 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

I dunno about Lucas. If you really care, drain it and fill with 85W-140 dino. It won't hurt anything. Order a Lube Locker gasket and it'll give you an excuse to drop the cover but still be stupid easy to re-do later.

OR, you can suck out most of the existing lube and you can even siphon it if you let it sit for a couple days.

Of course all this is based on the ASSumption there's something akin to 80W-90 in there now....

What is a lube Locker gasket ? Like a resuable gasket ? I do have a new bottle of royal purple 75w 140 sitting on the shelf.

Old 03-31-2022, 06:16 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

I wouldn't use synthetic if slowing a leak is the goal

Old 03-31-2022, 06:17 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

I wouldn't use synthetic if slowing a leak is the goal

Dammit your right lol. Well darn

Old 03-31-2022, 06:30 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker

Here AutoZone is still selling their house brand STP 85W-140 for $7/qt.....so the front diff would run ya ~$14 plus a fancy gasket if you were so inclined.

But it may not be worth the effort, depending upon the severity of the leak

Old 03-31-2022, 06:37 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Here AutoZone is still selling their house brand STP 85W-140 for $7/qt.....so the front diff would run ya ~$14 plus a fancy gasket if you were so inclined.

But it may not be worth the effort, depending upon the severity of the leak

We don't have auto zone up here in the sticks lol.
I don't think its a severe leak. I parked in my yard which is level now and it isn't dripping on the tire. They day after I got stuck in the bush I was backed into my sloped driveway and that's when I noticed the gear oil on the door. Your deff right with it only leaking when out of level. Really not sure what I wanna do about it now if it isn't pouring out lol..

Quick Reply: Dana 44 axel seal question