2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rebuilt Motor Knock

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 09:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

There has been a lot of debate about re-using the intake bolts...... Supposedly, they are torque-to-yield bolts, thus, cannot be re-used. However, there is NOTHING in the service manual that talks about that.... one would think, there would at least be a note in the manual, mentioning that.....

That said, I replace them anyway. Just in case.

Before tearing anything down though, make sure that there is indeed a leak. Timing cover seals up pretty good, unless you are extremely careless, or the sealing surface on the cover is too eroded. (and I really don't think that is the case here.) Re-using the intake bolts *might* give you a leak there, and that would certainly allow coolant into the oil...... But, verify there is a problem before you try and fix it.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:09 AM
BClark_35
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There has been a lot of debate about re-using the intake bolts...... Supposedly, they are torque-to-yield bolts, thus, cannot be re-used. However, there is NOTHING in the service manual that talks about that.... one would think, there would at least be a note in the manual, mentioning that.....

Before tearing anything down though, make sure that there is indeed a leak. Timing cover seals up pretty good, unless you are extremely careless, or the sealing surface on the cover is too eroded. (and I really don't think that is the case here.) Re-using the intake bolts *might* give you a leak there, and that would certainly allow coolant into the oil...... But, verify there is a problem before you try and fix it.
yea for now I'm driving it. I was very careful when installing all gaskets, and i havent noticed a coolant leak as of yet. So maybe it was just condensation or something strange. Gonna keep a close eye on everything. Change the oil here in a few weeks. I just don't see how I could have coolant in the oil. We will see. I do still want to drop the pan in a few weeks. Check all the bearings. So far my brand new motor has been hell on earth.

Old 04-14-2022, 05:48 PM
BClark_35
Professional

well I'm back. I really don't think i do have a coolant into water leak. At least not yet. Ive driven probably 100 miles and my coolant level is the same. When I drain the oil here soon I will have to make sure. Anyway, I captured a video of a noise my engine is making. It's a bad video but you can hear the noise. Hard for me to pinpoint by myself but it almost sounds like an exhaust leak. I don't think it is though because it only seems to do it with no load. Or at least that I've noticed. It's not a hard knock. But doesn't sound like a tick. Not sure. Any insight is appreciated. As mentioned before no matter what I'm goijg to be dropping my pan and inspecting all bearings.

Old 04-14-2022, 07:45 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by BClark_35
{snip}
They felt a little funny when torturing them down but I just thought it was normal.
Honey, is that you????

Old 04-14-2022, 07:53 PM
BClark_35
Professional

Originally Posted by Keith_L
Honey, is that you????
Now how the hell am i just now seeing that? 😂 looking at that out of context makes me think I'm on the wrong site

Old 04-15-2022, 09:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

I don't hear anything..... but, my hearing ain't the best either.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:46 AM
BClark_35
Professional

I don't hear anything..... but, my hearing ain't the best either.
every person ive had listen says the same exact thjng but i know it's there😂 if you listen very closely you can hear it. Almost sounds like an exhaust leak to me but that doesn't make sense as I mainly only hear it with no load. Maybe I will find something when I drop the pan. If I don't I'm probably letting it go as "normal". Unless it gets worse

Old 04-15-2022, 10:01 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by BClark_35
every person ive had listen says the same exact thjng but i know it's there😂 if you listen very closely you can hear it. Almost sounds like an exhaust leak to me but that doesn't make sense as I mainly only hear it with no load. Maybe I will find something when I drop the pan. If I don't I'm probably letting it go as "normal". Unless it gets worse
I had an issue/noise like that not long ago. I thought (and my gut was telling me) it was an exhaust leak. I tightened the header bolts up some more (since the gaskets are thick copper and I used copper RTV to further seal them up) and the leak was still there. I decided to take my truck to a local exhaust shop for someone else to look at it. They put the truck on a lift and used a stethoscope to listen around the exhaust system and found that all of the weld joints that were done along the 3" exhaust pipes were leaking at the top of each pipe weld joint, where it appears that the pipe installer missed fully welding the joints along the top area of the pipes. The mechanic there welded up those gaps and all is now well.

Old 04-15-2022, 03:27 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

Just stick a piece of fuel line in your ear and put the other end near anywhere that might leak. When you find a leak you'll get a distinct puffing noise in your ear

Old 04-15-2022, 04:43 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Did you use new lifters? Sounds like a minor lifter tap

Quick Reply: Rebuilt Motor Knock