2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adjusting the steering box

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2022, 06:35 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adjusting the steering box

Anyone have proper instructions how to tighten up these steering boxes? Or should I just get a new reman one. I have like 3 inches of play on the steering. I know some of front end has to be replaced AGAIN but the truck wanders like crazy some times on the road. Could a bad steering shaft be part of the problem aswell ?I'm considering selling the truck one day to move up to a 3/4 ton and don't want the steering to scare them off

Old 04-15-2022, 06:58 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Check trac bar….a lot of times it’s misdiagnosed as a bad steering box…..with vehicle on ground engine off, have someone rip steering wheel back and forth and look for play….

Old 04-15-2022, 07:05 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
Check trac bar….a lot of times it’s misdiagnosed as a bad steering box…..with vehicle on ground engine off, have someone rip steering wheel back and forth and look for play….
Hey man I did that already. Doesn't look like really any play on track bar surprisingly for a cheap one. I do know the pitman arm joint will need to be replaced soon though. When truck is off and in park if you wiggle the steering wheel alot it just barely moves the tire. The tires are 33s I know it does t help either

Old 04-15-2022, 08:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

There are two adjustments on the steering box, procedure is detailed in the service manual. Keep in mind, they want you to have the box off the truck for that exercise.

Don't waste your money on one of the parts store reman boxes, they are generally worse that what you are replacing...... Red Head, Borgeson, and some third manufacturer I simply can't remember right now, and possibly a fourth as well...... are out there, and they are MUCH higher quality rebuilds.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:27 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There are two adjustments on the steering box, procedure is detailed in the service manual. Keep in mind, they want you to have the box off the truck for that exercise.

Don't waste your money on one of the parts store reman boxes, they are generally worse that what you are replacing...... Red Head, Borgeson, and some third manufacturer I simply can't remember right now, and possibly a fourth as well...... are out there, and they are MUCH higher quality rebuilds.
So it won't do any temporary fix with the adjustments ? Seen couple videos on YouTube and lots of guys seem successful.
as far as a redhead. I wish ! But shipping and exchange 700$ is a hard pill to swallow lol. Also i heard guys on this forum not having any luck with the red heads aswell. Might be doomed lol..

Old 04-15-2022, 08:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Blue Top is another one....

Yeah, the replacement boxes from the parts store suck. The really good ones cost a bunch more.... Try adjusting yours first. Sometimes it works.... it will at least improve it some.

Old 04-15-2022, 08:38 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Blue Top is another one....

Yeah, the replacement boxes from the parts store suck. The really good ones cost a bunch more.... Try adjusting yours first. Sometimes it works.... it will at least improve it some.
I think ill just try to adjust it where it sits. Should I do a quarter turn then take it for a drive ? Or will wiggling the wheel In park tell me right away

Old 04-15-2022, 09:25 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

When wiggling the wheel you have to use force and try to turn tires a smidge, when tires start to turn then all the slop is out, should be able to pinpoint it…..

but as it may be, it may need a box or adjust

Old 04-15-2022, 09:34 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
When wiggling the wheel you have to use force and try to turn tires a smidge, when tires start to turn then all the slop is out, should be able to pinpoint it…..

but as it may be, it may need a box or adjust
Box as in a new one? Hopefully an adjustment may help cause I never have on this one
Also do these steering box braces help at all?

Old 04-16-2022, 08:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Depends..... If the box is flexing on it's frame mount, then yes. Otherwise, not really.... Of course, it DOES support the lower bearing on the pitman shaft, which isn't a bad idea. Trouble is, if you off-road your truck, and use one of braces that goes from frame rail to frame rail, when the frame flexes, it will exert forces on the steering box that it really wasn't designed for..... doesn't do the mount any favors either. Dodge Off Road makes one that mounts only on one side, but, that feller sure ain't cheap, and personally, don't think it is worth the money.

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (04-16-2022)

Quick Reply: Adjusting the steering box