2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adjusting the steering box

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 06:24 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If changing the box didn't help at all, then it's likely your problem lies elsewhere.... Need to inspect the steering, from the wheel, out to the tires, and see where the slop is.
I checked again today aswell. Most of slop that i can see visibly is coming from the steering gear box. Mostly the output shaft.i can see it move side to side when the steering wheel is jerked. Ill be ordering a brace to correct this problem. There's a guy in Michigan that makes a solid one piece brace and claims even if my steering box is half worn out it will still dramatically change the slop and the amount of stress that the big tires put on the gear box and other joints. As long as the steering box isn't leaking it will pro long it's life a little longer. I'm going to take the chance. Other then that the steering shaft feels a little sloppy aswell but that could be the input shaft it's mounted to aswell.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:01 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 96albertaram
I checked again today aswell. Most of slop that i can see visibly is coming from the steering gear box. Mostly the output shaft.i can see it move side to side when the steering wheel is jerked. Ill be ordering a brace to correct this problem. There's a guy in Michigan that makes a solid one piece brace and claims even if my steering box is half worn out it will still dramatically change the slop and the amount of stress that the big tires put on the gear box and other joints. As long as the steering box isn't leaking it will pro long it's life a little longer. I'm going to take the chance. Other then that the steering shaft feels a little sloppy aswell but that could be the input shaft it's mounted to aswell.
Can you possibly share a link to the steering box brace that you're going to purchase?

Old 04-18-2022, 09:06 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Can you possibly share a link to the steering box brace that you're going to purchase?

https://www.dodgeramsteeringstabilizer.com/

Old 04-18-2022, 09:17 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

I run a similar model of the stabilizer that you've posted with my Borgeson steering box. I believe it helps to enhance the life of the steering box a bit, however, it likely won't cure your steering issues. Even after rebuilding the entire front suspension of my truck, it steers and rides much better, but still requires my full time and attention driving it down the road to keep it in its lane. I also feel like my front shocks need replacing. I'm planning to replace them shortly, along with installing a 2" front lift kit and then get the truck re-aligned. I hope that will help the truck to ride/steer better, but we shall see.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:25 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I run a similar model of the stabilizer that you've posted with my Borgeson steering box. I believe it helps to enhance the life of the steering box a bit, however, it likely won't cure your steering issues. Even after rebuilding the entire front suspension of my truck, it steers and rides much better, but still requires my full time and attention driving it down the road to keep it in its lane. I also feel like my front shocks need replacing. I'm planning to replace them shortly, along with installing a 2" front lift kit and then get the truck re-aligned. I hope that will help the truck to ride/steer better, but we shall see.

Did the borgenson shaft help with anything? I feel like the oem is so dinky. I rebuilt the whole front front end like 3 years ago and some of the joints are already toast. I have a 2" level and just installed bilsteins 5100 all 4 corners. I think i will try the brace and see what happens. Maybe ill get a red head box one day when I actually have money to spend lol, once again exchange and shipping kills me on all things made in the USA. Including that brace

Old 04-18-2022, 09:47 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Lightbulb

Did the borgenson shaft help with anything? I feel like the oem is so dinky. I rebuilt the whole front front end like 3 years ago and some of the joints are already toast. I have a 2" level and just installed bilsteins 5100 all 4 corners. I think i will try the brace and see what happens. Maybe ill get a red head box one day when I actually have money to spend lol, once again exchange and shipping kills me on all things made in the USA. Including that brace
I installed the Borgeson steering shaft and steering box after I did the front end rebuild. The Borgeson steering shaft is very well made and solid. The Borgeson steering box is pretty beefy and extends off the frame about 1/4" further that the stock steering box, however, I don't feel that its much, if any, better than some of the other replacement steering boxes available on the market. Borgeson no longer sells a steering box for 2nd gen trucks, likely due to hit-or-miss quality with the boxes they produced for 2nd gen trucks in the past. As an FYI, I'm also running 33" Michelin ATX-2 tires on the front and rear.

Old 04-19-2022, 01:49 AM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 135 Likes on 122 Posts

All countries have machinists, see post #14 here from Ramman
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post3535993

I guess a brace attempts the same thing in a Bandaid sorta way

Old 04-19-2022, 07:23 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by Keith_L
All countries have machinists, see post #14 here from Ramman
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post3535993

I guess a brace attempts the same thing in a Bandaid sorta way
The design of these gear boxes on the frame are terrible they should almost have a brace from factory. Watching how much the output shaft moves while turning the wheel is ridiculous especially with bigger tires should be an automatic upgrade.

Old 04-19-2022, 09:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Some of that slop is because the housing the bearing is pressed into wears, and is no longer square. That allows the bearing to wobble under load, and you get a shaft what moves in a direction it shouldn't be able to. Most rebuilders don't address that..... so, you end up with the same problem, even though you just installed a 'rebuilt' box.

Old 04-20-2022, 06:33 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

They shouldn't call them rebuilt they should call them swapped bad part boxes. I remember the other tread on this subject and at the time red head had a pic of a guy and about 25 output shafts he was supposedly "rebuilding"( cleaning off the debris/rust). Have to wonder what the tolerance limit is to worn surfaces before they consider it junk(if there is any)?

Quick Reply: Adjusting the steering box