2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering shaft upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022, 10:26 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Just my experience recently: replaced my second Redhead with a brand new Lares box from rock auto and threw on a new steering shaft per their recommendation. I did the shaft before the box to seek results and was surprised that it instantly turned easier and much quieter. The old shaft was still tight and looked fine, just rusty. But it squeaked and hissed which I erroneously attributed to the box or pump. Great purchase for only $50. Then the new box was the final touch. I'm a happy driver again. My point is even a cheap new shaft will be an improvement.

Old 05-04-2022, 09:08 PM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Just my experience recently: replaced my second Redhead with a brand new Lares box from rock auto and threw on a new steering shaft per their recommendation. I did the shaft before the box to seek results and was surprised that it instantly turned easier and much quieter. The old shaft was still tight and looked fine, just rusty. But it squeaked and hissed which I erroneously attributed to the box or pump. Great purchase for only $50. Then the new box was the final touch. I'm a happy driver again. My point is even a cheap new shaft will be an improvement.

This is good news bro!!! Happy for ya, cause I want to be happy lol. I aswell wanted to try a new shaft first. I'm hopefull. It is the original for sure. I removed the end from the steering box side and that u joint has seen better days , deff needs to be replaced. I'm in Canada and I found the same one on Amazon as the parts stores here for 200 bucks. Was yours made by Dorman by chance ?

Old 05-05-2022, 10:41 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I think it was the SKP cheapo from rockauto. There were two brands available and I got the cheaper of the two.

Quick Reply: Steering shaft upgrades