2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering shaft upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 09:28 AM
96albertaram
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering shaft upgrades

Seems like I have a decent amount of play in my 96 factory steering shaft. I removed the input shaft side of it today and noticed the universal joint in it isn't as great as it once was, I'm assuming that it's also contributing to the slop in steering I'm having.
I would like to replace it, is there any other company's out there that make upgraded steering shaft beside borgeson ? Also are the borgeson worth the money? Anyone have bad experience with them?

Old 04-28-2022, 10:20 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 322 Likes on 304 Posts

I'm very happy with my Borgeson steering shaft. No issues after several years using it. I shopped around quite a bit on the web to find one at a reasonable price.

Old 04-28-2022, 11:53 AM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I'm very happy with my Borgeson steering shaft. No issues after several years using it. I shopped around quite a bit on the web to find one at a reasonable price.

So there really isn't any other aftermarket companys who can compete with them? Do you have a 1500?

Old 04-28-2022, 08:19 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 322 Likes on 304 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by 96albertaram
So there really isn't any other aftermarket companys who can compete with them? Do you have a 1500?
2500, as noted in the signature, however, I believe they all use the same steering shaft (1500, 2500, 3500). Might want to check with Flaming River to see if they make one for the trucks or check the web for possible options. I bought mine since I also purchased the Borgeson steering box.

Old 04-28-2022, 08:20 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
2500, as noted in the signature, however, I believe they all use the same steering shaft (1500, 2500, 3500). Might want to check with Flaming River to see if they make one for the trucks or check the web for possible options. I bought mine since I also purchased the Borgeson steering box.

Right on man sounds good , anything new is better than what's in there at this point lol

Old 05-01-2022, 02:19 AM
beau680
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did borgenson steering shaft it def helped out alot.
next thing i did was the steering box brace also helped out. The biggest thing besides those were replacing all ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings. I run 37"s and it was a noticeable difference. Some might say its overboard to do all that but i wanted a "square one". At the same time as doing all that i did the box,pump,power steering cooler

I tried to do the ram steering fix- where you replace the bushing located inside of the steering column, kind of mounted to the firewall. I likely did it wrong long story short my steering was super tight. I ended up buying a replacement column from used truck.

Old 05-01-2022, 12:27 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by beau680
i did borgenson steering shaft it def helped out alot.
next thing i did was the steering box brace also helped out. The biggest thing besides those were replacing all ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings. I run 37"s and it was a noticeable difference. Some might say its overboard to do all that but i wanted a "square one". At the same time as doing all that i did the box,pump,power steering cooler

I tried to do the ram steering fix- where you replace the bushing located inside of the steering column, kind of mounted to the firewall. I likely did it wrong long story short my steering was super tight. I ended up buying a replacement column from used truck.

I did the ram steering fix and it helped. There was a point a couple years ago I did do the whole front end and new steering gear box and it helped forsure. Now I believe my big tires has worn out the box again. When the times comes I'll get a better box, there a company in Vancouver that does great work on remans and is highly recommended. A steering shaft is something I'd definitely want to add with it , was just wondering if borgeson had any competitors as they are quite expensive. I was about to pull the trigger on a box brace but I have been hearing alot of mixed reviews on them. Apparently they were invented here in Canada from a farmer. I guess they can create "memory steer" where it feels like it's helping but it's just a band aid.

Old 05-01-2022, 12:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,279 Likes on 3,026 Posts

Might have a chat with These Guys as well. They might be able to custom make something for you. No idea on pricing. A shaft with U-joints at both ends, as opposed to a rag joint on one end, is quite a bit more precise. (though you tend to feel more 'road stuff' thru it.)

The following users liked this post:
AtomicDog (05-01-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 12:42 PM
beau680
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could see how that may be possible, but i feel like with an aftermarket pitman arm for a 6" lift it is absolutley needed. I also heard of some good brand for gear boxes. My biggest issue was shipong it out to be rebuilt or exchanged for a core charge an paying double for a box, the wait is what gets me every time

Old 05-01-2022, 12:44 PM
96albertaram
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Might have a chat with These Guys as well. They might be able to custom make something for you. No idea on pricing. A shaft with U-joints at both ends, as opposed to a rag joint on one end, is quite a bit more precise. (though you tend to feel more 'road stuff' thru it.)
I'm pretty sure my shaft is factory but mine doesn't have a rag joint. It has a u joint on both ends
the joint near the steering box is the one that's toast and you can feel the play when you yank on it. I believe it's one of the main cause of my steering issues

Quick Reply: Steering shaft upgrades